Glen-L.com

The Boatbuilder Connection
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:40 pm 

I'm preparing for my first build (drift boat). There are a lot of plans available in regards to plywood on frame construction. But IMO, the most beautiful boats are the strip planked construction. Is this considered advance boat building and therefore not recommended for first timers? Maybe to labor intensive! What am I missing? There seems to be a shortage of plans and a shortage of discussions relating to strip building!
Regards,
nivek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:44 pm 

Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.
Hi Nivek,

There is a lot more work in a strip planked boat (in my opinion), and possibly more care needed to get a nice finish. However it is entirely do-able for anybody who wants to do it and has the patience to finish projects. Check out many of the boats on here, mine included where we have absolutely no boat building experience. The plans and instructions tell you how to go about the major steps and there is plenty of help from us here. The main thing is to choose a plan that you actually like and are excited about. That way if you only build one (insert maniacal laugh here) :twisted: then you have the one you really want.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:10 pm 

The frame requirements could be quite different for a strip plank model as compared to sheet plywood. Without getting into a debate about which is better/stronger/faster, ultimately, if you want to do a strip plank you must find plans for that particular construction method since frames for plywood construction (in which the plywood distributes stresses in "all directions" quite well) may not be strong enough or spaced close enough etc to support strips properly - you could end up with a dangerous boat.

If you are still in the "blue sky" phase where you are deciding what exactly you want to do (and trying to figure if you are capable etc) I would suggest you spend 35 bucks and get the very latest copy of "the Gougeon Brothers on boat construction".

I'm not trying to steer you away from the Glen-L publications which are excellent in their own right, but the book from the inventers of West System have 5 or 6 chapters dedicated to various construction methods and they point out the good/bad/ugly of each method etc.

It could well change you intended method or give you a the confidence to undertake the build that "you really want to do".

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:23 pm 

I'm with Track and Graham on the build the boat you want.

They are also right about design for each method. That being said, We're all bad about breaking rules here. We don't always talk about it in public.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:47 am 

Thanks all.
I'm looking into that book recommendation.

So where can I find plans for a strip-built drift boat? I have not found any yet.

I'll definitely be one of those to break the rules. I'm already accustomed to planning something to death on paper before I build it. I love to design something on paper and then see it come to life. I just can't wait to build this boat. I think it will be the ultimate project!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:51 am 

You could always built the hull panels out of glued up strips to the size of the plywood panels....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12602

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... rd_photos/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mo_kayaks/sets/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 am 

Yes, I had a similar idea. I thought about reducing the thickness of the plywood sides and then strip-planking on top of the ply. This in theory would reduce the amount of labor in half compared to a traditional strip planked boat (no interior fairing of the planks). This is also appealing to me because I want the look of a beautiful wood boat on the outside, but I would really prefer to have the inside look more like a production boat. So it seems like a good idea.

But will I have any lamination issues between the ply and strips?
What glue would be best is this area (traditional wood glue or epoxy resin)?
If resin; would that be a nightmare to work with between the strips?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm 

You could create a nightmare down the road (moisture trapped )....Just do the strips... make em thicker if woried about strength... 5/16 is plenty thick with 6oz glass inside and out.....

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r302 ... rd_photos/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mo_kayaks/sets/