14' Aluminum Drifter Project

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

JasperWalsh

14' Aluminum Drifter Project

Post by JasperWalsh » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:45 am

I just started build my frist boat, a 14' drifter in aluminum.
I need some help.... I can not figure out the distance that my aft form should be above the top of my frame. See picture below....

Thanks for your help and I will keep you all posted on my progress.
Live Life
Jasper

Gayle Brantuk

Re: 14' Aluminum Drifter Project

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:43 pm

Jasper,

Congratulations on starting to build your McDrift 14! The full size patterns show on the form/frame the set-up level which is where that cleat needs to rest on the building form. That will determine the height of each form. I hope that make sense...

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Pichers'd make more sense to me! :D

He's got a lot of confidence in the local Weather, laying that thing out in his Driveway, outside! :lol:
Do your profile location. Let us know where you doin this thing at. I'd bet its a West Coast River boat eh?

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:42 am

I am in Bangor, Maine and it is a west coast style boat, but it will be perfect for my east coast rivers.

Ha ha, it is almost snowing here in early oct, I just set up outside for the photo.... my shop is a little small.

Gayle, I am still confused but I will take another look at it tonight, the 1 x 6" that I have set on the aft form is just randomly placed, I do not see where the measurements are on the form plans to meet the frame jig. Thanks for your reply

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:26 pm

Started in on my drifter this weekend, with the help of my friend Nate True. Nate builds custom motorcycles and homes so I was happy for his help. We plotted our points on to the alum and only had one point that was our of the sheer line and we made our own adjustment.

Checking the 16' strapping sections for fairness....

Then time to remeasure..

Then cut

I was using a Freud circular saw blade and was so happy with the outcome, I was thinking about using my jig saw but this was a much better option.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:30 pm

Coming along.

I was wondering about the jacket,but then I saw you were in Maine....Hard to understand when it's in the 80's here with the air on!!!

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:45 pm

My friend Nate takes a pass.

This is a cool picture, my Harley WL up there in the corner all alone. It will have to wait for another winter to get started on that project.

It took maybe four hours to lay out the dimensions, bend the 16' strapping sections to the sheer line and then cut the sections out. In the end, more or less, we had four sections that if you hold them together and squint your eyes you can kind of see a drift boat ? Ha ha

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:57 pm

That is my friend Nate on the left, a good guy to come work all weekend. Pretty pumped at how things came out.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:00 pm

Good progress! :D

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:07 pm

This thing is starting to look like a boat... almost... time to get to work with the TIG.... more progess to come but now I begin the long process of getting the sheets on the the frame jig and starting the welds... more to come....live life

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:36 pm

I'm Dazzled. Boy it's sure good to have a buddy interested enough to help.
He'll help you learn how to use the boat too.

If you really needed heat in there, could you pull some of those boards up, and put some CPVC pipe under the floorboards of the Garage?
Put a little 5 or 6 Gal hot water heater in there some where. Up high maybe.
Then make a circle with the Pipes to take the hot water out, pump it through the pipes and back into the hot water tank.
Circulating hot water heat. Pretty cheap and very portable. You could even take the idea outside to heat a tent up on top the boat while you finish er off.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 am

Great photos and comments--thanks so much for sharing. Your Drifter is looking good...

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 am

Make sure you do not tie your drinking (potable) and heating water together...that equals: Legionaires disease...oooops..you die! :? :cry: :roll:

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 am

Leakcheck's right about that.
I've been told a bunch of stuff about getting around that, but....I sure wont take any chances with a horrible death. :twisted:

JasperWalsh

Post by JasperWalsh » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Thank you for the comments, yes it is starting to look like the boat the Glen L crew designed.
I will be moving right along now fitting my fore and aft forms and hopefully this weekend clamping the alum to the jig.
I might crank up the heat but for now it is nice to enjoy the last fleating moments of fall.
Live Life

Jasper

http://www.iwilllivelife.blogspot.com

Return to “Human Power”