KidYak

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Grand Chillin

KidYak

Post by Grand Chillin »

Well, seeing how there are several stitch and glue builds going on here now I couldn't help myself. :shock: I had to join in the fun again :D I already had the plans and after cleaning up the garage (moving things around) :roll: I realized I had enough material to build the KidYak. So here goes nothing.
Step one as we all know is tracing the patterns to your material for cutting out. I use plain ol carbon paper. Sometimes I wish I had the bigger sheets sold by Glen-L, but for now I'm using what I have. One important step here no matter which one you are using. You have to place the carbon paper under the pattern before you start tracing. The main reason I mention this is because my sons are still laughing at me two days later. :( :roll: :lol:
Kid Yak 002.jpg
Step two is something I now do different after reading it on here. If a piece has a duplicate, trace once then double your material when cutting.
Kid Yak 010.jpg
One other thing I found that makes things easier for me on symetric items like bulkheads, etc. is to tranfer measurements off of the patterns instead of tracing.
Kid Yak 005.jpg
I already have the material cut for the paddle, but I think I'm going to reduce the radius of the handle. All I have to do now is trace and cut the two deck halves and start wiring together. :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Lowka53

Re: KidYak

Post by Lowka53 »

Grand Chillin wrote: :shock: I had to join in the I use plain ol carbon paper. Sometimes I wish I had the bigger sheets sold by Glen-L, but for now I'm using what I have.
I found larger size carbon paper at a local craft shop than what glen-l sells and it is in a roll but I guess not all areas of the world would have it and there is nothing wrong with what glen-l has. This state has allot of crafting type people. so probily has different supplies than other places. the place I got the carbon paper is called the hobby lobby I don't know if it is a large chain store or some thing local. just googled it it is a big chain store.

http://www.hobbylobby.com/stores/store_ ... search.cfm
Grand Chillin your closest store would be
2530 Whiskey Road
Aiken, SC 29803
(803) 648-1098
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Well,
All my plywood pieces are cut out. The butt joints/blocks are done on the side pieces and the deck pieces. I even jumped ahead and cut out and glued up the paddle. I have some dress up sanding to do on the cuts, then precoat the insides and start knitting. :wink: :lol:
Oh, I almost forgot. Somebody had the nerve to ask me when was I going to build a real man's boat. :shock: :twisted: He's lucky Missouri is so darn far from here. :wink: :lol:
Kid Yak 026.jpg

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Well.....what progress????? :?: :? :? :?

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Well, I see 3 youngun boat and "the man's boat", well, wasn't it sitting on those saw horses? Oh, it got cold last night and........

At the rate your building up the younguns fleet you won't have any room in your watering hole for the "man's boat".

Soooooooooooo.................................................... the question stands. And I am up here waiting.................................
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

There is really no better fun and enjoyment than what comes from hand building stuff for the grandkids. 8) I look foward to doing a tug for my own.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

And I too, and I am waiting, waiting, waiting. With two sons, 28 and 24, I wonder how much longer I am going to have to wait. Maybe when the grey hair falls out!!!!
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Build and they will come!!! (or something like that)

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

DaveLott wrote:Well, I see 3 youngun boat and "the man's boat", well, wasn't it sitting on those saw horses? Oh, it got cold last night and........
At the rate your building up the younguns fleet you won't have any room in your watering hole for the "man's boat".
Soooooooooooo.................................................... the question stands. And I am up here waiting.................................
It didn't get that cold. :shock: :roll: Remember I have three sets of those horses and I'm about to build a shorter set for fiberglassing the toons. :D

Warren,
All I have been doing is precoating the inside of the pieces, except for the two small bulkheads. They are epoxied on both sides.
Kid Yak 030.jpg
Oyster, you already have a reason to build one. Dave, why wait. Heck, I built a wooden fort with a slide and swing while my wife was pregnant with our oldest son. :roll: Besides as Oyster said we all know the two of you want a Tubby for yourselves. :wink: :lol: :lol:
Oyster wrote: I look foward to doing a tug for my own.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

I will build a daysailer for the Admiral first. But I have another runabout in the works, so that takes priority.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

billy c

Post by billy c »

DaveLott wrote: But I have another runabout in the works, so that takes priority.
where are the pictures :?: :lol:
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Only collecting parts right now. Midnight is taking up shop space having her deck refinished.

My, it feels good to get back into the shop :D
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

There is nothing that I would not build for sure because of the need and lust to do so. But my dear friends[hope so anyway] priorities and space restricts doing so, not withstanding costs incurred when doing so. For my first born grand child the cradle was the first build Chip long before he saw the light of day, followed by "Duclin" a 12 footer, sitting on the side tracks, its sistership "Conductor" for my middle yongen, and a 16 footer for my oldest and a 24 footer for my Lovely, and drapes to compliment the Lovely's 24 footer, and repainted the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get the message now? Of course the 22' Biscayne frames and of course a custom 16 foot flats boats interior, an ongoing project that extends back over the course of three years,,, Oh and did I tell you about the dishes, the vacumn cleaner project, and the turning of the raised beds in the garden, ,,,, not withstanding irritating and keeping some of you guys directed on getting a single hull in the water. But alas now, i have run out of most of the good wood.[Listen closely and you can hear my Lovely cheering in the background]

Man I am tired just thinking about it. Sorry for the ranting :lol: :oops: Are you done yet, strike that are you guys done yet with your projects? :lol: :roll: :oops: :D

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Only collecting parts right now. Midnight is taking up shop space having her deck refinished.
Listen up folks. Learn from your mistakes. You always collect enough for your next project while doing a current project. This way your next project does not costs you anything to speak of. :wink: Its not how much you may need, but what will you do with the extra material that you find yourself left with after finishing and floating the current project. :lol: Wimmin like to hear that too, when you slip off into the shed to do some "pondering" and whittling for thearpy. :lol:

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Oyster wrote:There is nothing that I would not build for sure because of the need and lust to do so. But my dear friends[hope so anyway] priorities and space restricts doing so, not withstanding costs incurred when doing so. For my first born grand child the cradle was the first build Chip long before he saw the light of day, followed by "Duclin" a 12 footer, sitting on the side tracks, its sistership "Conductor" for my middle yongen, and a 16 footer for my oldest and a 24 footer for my Lovely, and drapes to compliment the Lovely's 24 footer, and repainted the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get the message now? Of course the 22' Biscayne frames and of course a custom 16 foot flats boats interior, an ongoing project that extends back over the course of three years,,, Oh and did I tell you about the dishes, the vacumn cleaner project, and the turning of the raised beds in the garden, ,,,, not withstanding irritating and keeping some of you guys directed on getting a single hull in the water. But alas now, i have run out of most of the good wood.[Listen closely and you can hear my Lovely cheering in the background]

Man I am tired just thinking about it. Sorry for the ranting :lol: :oops: Are you done yet, strike that are you guys done yet with your projects? :lol: :roll: :oops: :D
Yeah, We get the message you overachiever. :roll: :D

I got to go lay down. I'm worn out from just reading that. :shock: :oops: :wink: :lol:

Return to “Human Power”