finishing plywood edge

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

dock

finishing plywood edge

Post by dock »

how do you guys finish the cut edge of the plywood hull between the sheer, and the outer "trim" piece ???? Seems like it needs more than paint to keep water out ??? Thanks Steve

billy c

Re: finishing plywood edge

Post by billy c »

Steve-
you could rabbet the trim piece/rail so it caps/hides and seals the ply edge. or easier simply coat the end grain with epoxy... might even throw some fiberglass cloth on since you are doing stitch and glue on the Sabotina and will have a roll of tape.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

I have the same edge on my skiff,and decided to cap the top with a piece of about 3/8" sapele .

I have seen boats with just an inner and out shear/rubrail with exposed end grain plywood in between, that looks good too,but you need to seal with epoxy

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Steve,
I had the same question in regards to the little row boat. I decided to leave the plywood edge exposed. I have three coats of epoxy on it and I might even put one more on before the final clear finish. I like how it turned out.
Kid Row 066.jpg
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

On my bullseye I made an attempt to hide various blunders while sealing the sheer gap with this here fancy stuff (strips of ceder and teak) with lots of epoxy filler to account for the tearouts from a bad router job trying to even out the gap between inner and outer rails. Came out ok thought following the 19 foot rule : )

DaveA
sheertrim1.JPG
sheertrim2.JPG

dock

Post by dock »

Thanks everybody for the advise. I have not decided yet....... My Sabotina build is on a jig, with frames. It's a trial run..to see how I do, before trying a larger boat. Dave...what did you use to turn photo 1, into photo 2 ???? It looks great. Steve

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Steve;
I used a cheapo Harbor Freight planer then belt sander and finally hand sanding and final couple of epoxy coats. There was some filling of holes after the first planing and a couple coats of System 3 clear topcoat after it was all done (after picture).
All told it was one of those satisfying things that keeps one going, however superfluous it seems. See Cheeks blog for endless philosophying on the subject if your into it :)
( http://lawrencewcheek.com/news/ )

DaveA

Return to “Human Power”