Sabotina

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

blt

Sabotina

Post by blt » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Before you laugh, here me out on this one. I just received my plans for the Sabotina and have been contemplating the lumber I will use to build it. Its function will be two fold. First, this will be my first boat build so I am using it as a "model" to improve my skills for a larger project down the road. Second, I wanted to use it as a small dinghy for my 4 and 2 yo. and to "play" with in shallow water. I am thinking of using Integra or luan for my outer shell, liquid nails or weld wood for epoxy, but not sure what to use inside for lumber. Pine? Oak seems to expensive for what my intentions are. Thoughts?

slug

Re: Sabotina

Post by slug » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:21 pm

blt; Might help to post your location, as sometimes that helps in the choice of available lumber.
I have a friend who's son wanted to build a kayak several years ago and it called for sitka spruce....of course it wasn't available. I suggested he go to his local lumber yard and look for a nice dry 2 x 12 spruce plank. Well, he found a perfectly clear one and ripped it for the frames and battens.
Worked great and the spruce is strong and light. I suggested the wider plank size simply in order to mill that size requires a larger tree, thus less chance of a lot of knots.
Doug

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:39 pm

Yeah, we like to know where your at :mrgreen:

I rowed a little Pram like that for a few years in Washington State. My boat, built by an Uncle, was much lighter than the one in the Glen-L photo section. It was 85 Lbs in all. I used to carry it from the Pickup to the water and back.
Great stability too. I had two young boys in it several times with no problems.
Good choice!

blt

Post by blt » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:28 pm

I live in Michigan. There is a great lumberyard located just over an hour away.

dock

Post by dock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:38 pm

I have been building a Sabotina also as a learning tool, will be doing a larger project next. I have a restored 1955 Mansfield, (see photo if they load) and the entire boat is Doug. Fir except for the Mahogany topsides. So I went to HD and did the whole Sabotina thing in Doug fir, and exterior plywood, with System 3 epoxy. Am at the painting stage now. Trying to figgure out how to post photos, as I have documented the build.
I really learned a lot, and the next project will be Better !!!!!!!!!

Steve
Attachments
sabot bow.jpg
sab 4.jpg
sabot5.jpg

dock

Post by dock » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:41 pm

Photo of '55 Mansfield did not load...follows. Steve
Attachments
mans24.jpg

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:08 pm

Steve I'm glad you posted pics of your Sabotina build....looking great!

We have folks referring to that design, but no pics as far as I know.

Maybe Bikermouse was building one,or the Eight-Ball...I don't remember.

That Mansfield has beautiful lines! :shock: :D

How big is it?And what for power?

dock

Post by dock » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 am

The Mansfield is 17'...Original motor was a 35 E-rude lark. I put on a 70 E-rude for more power but was too heavy, couldn't get it trimmed. Now have a 50 on it and so far seems to be ok. Still have the original. Mansfield did not make the switch to FG so went out of business. I also have a 14' mansfield double cockpit runabout with a correct 45 Merc. It's my "hot rod"...Have more photos of the Sabotina if you think would helpful to post.

Steve

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Sure, more pics help others

I'd love to see the other Mansfield too....maybe post some pics in the misc section, and others can get nostalgic hints for their Zip & Malahini's

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Steve,

Great job on the Sabotina! Thanks for posting the photos. I hope you'll also add a gallery on our new boatbuilder site: http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:09 am

blt,
I don't think anyone addressed your question about using luan. I've read that you should not use luan plywood because it has lots of air gaps or something like that. I'm pretty sure I read that on a kayak forum where the yaks were all stitch & glue. The preferred ply was Okoume. Now that I have written that, maybe someone who knows will elaborate. Anyway, that will be a neat little boat. I've seen several prams built as stitch & glue and they turned out nice and are lightweight and easy to carry on a car top. They were all used for sailing.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Return to “Human Power”