Epoxy and Fiberglass

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

jwern

Epoxy and Fiberglass

Post by jwern » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:10 am

Good news is, I just tracked my boat plans and USPS says they are out for delivery today. I am so excited, I"m tempted to leave work. Anyway, may thanks to everyone who have giving me advice on the wood issue, but next question is, when it comes to epoxy and and fiberglass, I notice that from the glen-l site, there are three different types. Do all three need to be used, or do you just select? This may be a dumb question, but hey I got to ask. Thanks in advance.

Jim

gdcarpenter

Re: Epoxy and Fiberglass

Post by gdcarpenter » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 am

I believe GlenL offers three lines of types of Epoxy, essentially as the 'quality' goes up the cost goes up. There is apparently less risk of your epoxy 'blushing' (something you will learn about sooner or later - and it has varying degress of effect on the work you do) as you progress upwards in the quality chain.

You might also want to be aware that the GlenL epoxy comes in two 'thicknesses' - a thicker one for 'glue ups' and a thinner one for encapsulating. I personally used the thinner one for everything and thickened the thinner product to suit my needs. I personally used the basic GlenL epoxy for everything and had no problems to speak of.

By the way, which plan are you building?
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

jwern

Post by jwern » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 pm

I am building the 10" Imp flat bottom row boat. I have another thread started just below this one on the mian page. I screwed up and started a new topic instead of hitting reply. As my project progresses I plan to post pics and updates under the thread 10" Imp flat bottom row boat. Thanks for the clarification. I assumed it was justa product difference, but wanted to make sure.

darthplywood

Post by darthplywood » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Have fun building the "Imp"! The Imp was one of the six boats my grandfather built! Its a great little boat!
Built the 17' Glen-L "Sea Knight"
yet to come...11' Glen-L "Utility"

Return to “Human Power”