First boat, drift pram?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

jeremy_w

First boat, drift pram?

Post by jeremy_w » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm looking at building a drift pram, the 10' minimum. I'll be fishing the Salmon river here in NY quite a bit, and i'm sick of the yahoo snaggers. I would like to see what everyone has done with theres, and if there are any suggestions? I am new to this, and looking for an expected price range, as well as expected work time for the novice builder. Also, I am curious how difficult would it be to make it a 12' pram Vs the 10 foot design because I would like to carry more gear, or another person. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as would pictures.

Lowka53

Re: First boat, drift pram?

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:39 pm

:lol: Price range is hard to tell you. That would depend on what materials u want to use and the cost in your area, that also brings up a point hat to get material help you should really post on your in your profile your city and state. Also a big welcome to you. the cost also depends on how good a scrounger you are of if you are going to use all new material.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jeremy_w

Post by jeremy_w » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 pm

I was thinking for the FIRST build i might use exterior grade ply wood(On the cheap) you know just to get the hang of it. I'd hate to ruin $500 in ply wood. I have seen Fir selling online for around $36 a sheet, and 6mm Meranti for about $40 or so. Is there a much of a difference labor wise between the drift pram, and the mini drifter 12 footer? And will the benefits be that much more? I drive a subaru legacy wagon so the pram could be topped on my roof racks, and I planned on either carbon, or kevlar on the bottom. So I can even drag it from the take out if I need. Requirements are a decent anchor system, must be strong, and capable of some white water as I have stated. I would go with the Don hill mini drifter plans but I am afraid I may not be able to loft them my self. Sorry for being totally ignorant. I know 'what i want' I'm just not sure how to obtain it. I have a feel that this will turn into an addiction like when I started spey fishing. I started with one switch rod(fly rod that can be used with 1 or two hands) 6 months later I have 4 full blown two handed rods, 2 switch rods and 4 single handed rods. :lol: Yeah the ex left me. P.s thanks for the help lowka

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 am

jeremy_w wrote:I was thinking for the FIRST build i might use exterior grade ply wood(On the cheap) you know just to get the hang of it. I'd hate to ruin $500 in ply wood. I have seen Fir selling online for around $36 a sheet, and 6mm Meranti for about $40 or so. Is there a much of a difference labor wise between the drift pram, and the mini drifter 12 footer? And will the benefits be that much more? I drive a subaru legacy wagon so the pram could be topped on my roof racks, and I planned on either carbon, or kevlar on the bottom. So I can even drag it from the take out if I need. Requirements are a decent anchor system, must be strong, and capable of some white water as I have stated. I would go with the Don hill mini drifter plans but I am afraid I may not be able to loft them my self. Sorry for being totally ignorant. I know 'what i want' I'm just not sure how to obtain it. I have a feel that this will turn into an addiction like when I started spey fishing. I started with one switch rod(fly rod that can be used with 1 or two hands) 6 months later I have 4 full blown two handed rods, 2 switch rods and 4 single handed rods. :lol: Yeah the ex left me. P.s thanks for the help lowka
:lol: if you plan keeping the boat for awhile use at least ab ex glue Douglas fir at the least, then encapsulate fiber glass the bottom as far as building a pram I have never done one. But they are pretty simple build from what I here most all plans here can be built by a beginner. And yes It is addicting just ask anybody on this site.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

jeremy_w

Post by jeremy_w » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 am

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well about the wood. One thing I like about a drift pram as well is that It can be hung from my trusses in the off season as well. I'm thinking about the 14' drift boat though. It seems like all the techniques are generally the same for S&G?

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 pm

If you are cartopping, the weight may be the deciding factor on the plywood.

Fir is much heavier than okume

I've enjoyed using the 5 ply 1/4 okume over the 3 ply fir that I used to use

cmac001

Post by cmac001 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:13 am

Jeremy,

My son and I are currently building a 16' Wide Bottom McKenzie Drifter. As first time boat builders, we're making steady progress with only 10-12 hours a week. The Glen-L plans and products are true to their word - All is good so far.

A drifter would be too much for the roof of a Subaru - The car can take it but getting it up/down is a bit much. If you don't want to spring for a small trailer, stick with the pram. Watch the classifieds and keep your eyes open - I found a small row boat trailer for $125. With a few minor bunk modifications and you'll have a trailer suitable for a 10'-14' boat that you can still pull with a car.

You mentioned white water? The pram is more of a dingy/tender. The high bow point and steep sides of a drifter will keep you safe and dry. Using the suggested products and materials, I've estimated the cost of our 16' drifter at $1,800 - $2,200. The marine ply is the killer and makes up about half the cost. Since we'd like to keep this for many years, we're sticking to the suggested list.

The forum is a great source of information - Lots of talented people in here. Good Luck.

CNM

Return to “Human Power”