Rowing a Sweet Caroline 20', oar length?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

GC River Guide

Rowing a Sweet Caroline 20', oar length?

Postby GC River Guide » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:50 pm

Usually I would post under power boats but here is the issue...
Renovating a 20' Sweet Caroline. A seriously beautiful and cool boat. Converting it from a salt water fishing boat to a row / motor rig with a tiller engine. My plan is to use it for rowing support and rescue in Grand Canyon. This means I would be rowing most of the time and motoring on occasion.
The problem is the beam is inches short of 6 foot. This means 9 foot oars are about as long as you would want without losing leverage and counter balance. Factor in 16 vertical inches from the unloaded water line to the gunnels and add 6 inches for the oar locks. The plan was to use NRS Oar locks with the rise since the Caroline is not a very deep hull and lower locks would require me to sit too close to the floor of the boat for comfort.
I have over 10 years of whitewater experience rowing AVON inflatables with a 7 foot beam and 11 foot Gull oars which are fairly light.
Does anyone know of a Caroline 20' with oars? Any suggestions?
The equipment is too expensive to buy on spec.
Thanks for your assistance.
Elkanah
Attachments
Dory Skiff 030.jpg

svenole

Re: Rowing a Sweet Caroline 20', oar length?

Postby svenole » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I would row it.

Gurn1982

Re: Rowing a Sweet Caroline 20', oar length?

Postby Gurn1982 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:58 pm

GC River Guide wrote:Usually I would post under power boats but here is the issue...
Renovating a 20' Sweet Caroline. A seriously beautiful and cool boat. Converting it from a salt water fishing boat to a row / motor rig with a tiller engine. My plan is to use it for rowing support and rescue in Grand Canyon. This means I would be rowing most of the time and motoring on occasion.
The problem is the beam is inches short of 6 foot. phen375 reviews http://ohdivinehealth.com/phen375-reviews/ This means 9 foot oars are about as long as you would want without losing leverage and counter balance. Factor in 16 vertical inches from the unloaded water line to the gunnels and add 6 inches for the oar locks. The plan was to use NRS Oar locks with the rise since the Caroline is not a very deep hull and lower locks would require me to sit too close to the floor of the boat for comfort.
I have over 10 years of whitewater experience rowing AVON inflatables with a 7 foot beam and 11 foot Gull oars which are fairly light.
Does anyone know of a Caroline 20' with oars? Any suggestions?
The equipment is too expensive to buy on spec.
Thanks for your assistance.
Elkanah

your boat is really beautiful. boats are like clouds in the ocean that makes the ocean become more pleasant in the eyes and becomes more exciting for the boat to ride while it's on the ocean. if i have boat like yours i will definitely buy for the equipment whether it's expensive because i know that it will result to a more fantastic sailing.

Return to “Human Power”