Starter questions from a begginer

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

aarhud09

Re: Starter questions from a begginer

Post by aarhud09 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:14 pm

Nice!

I was actually thinking about doing a scale model of one of the boats. I did not know how working with the materials would be on a smaller scale. I'm glad you guys mentioned it.
The x1 model looks like a great alternative and would at the very least get me comfortable with the process. Fairly simple to cut out all of the pieces needed on one of my weekends home. Then simply bring them back to my apartment for assembly! Question, how strong are the fumes coming off of the epoxy and varnish?

Also, I am all for the "Where there is a will.." saying, but I think I would enjoy the process a lot more if I waited until I had adequate building space. I can't imagine being to thrilled to go work in a rented storage unit lol, never mind the added cost. Appreciate the ideas though, I'm sure I would consider them more if graduation was not so close.

Again, thanks for all of the input.

Aaron

aarhud09

Post by aarhud09 » Tue May 01, 2012 2:49 pm

UPDATE:

I'm going to try to start working on a small scale boat next week.

Does anybody see problems with scaling down the boat of my choice? Or would you advise just starting with the Glen-L radio boat.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue May 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Scaling down is fine. I would not use epoxy in a confined space. You can/may/will become sinsitive to it. Ventillation and mask are important. For scale model polyester resin would be fine and safer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Human Power”