design for a novice builder

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

dyson

design for a novice builder

Post by dyson » Sat May 12, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm in a process of moving into a new house where I have access to a lake. I was thinking it would be great if I had a little rowing boat to take out a few days a week just for myself and maybe one more person. This will be the first time building a boat, and I was hoping you could recommend me a design that is suitable for my needs. Unfortunately I don't have luxury to put a lot of cash into this, so the budget will be my first priority. My second priority is the design that can be easily built by a novice and quickly. Thanks for your help in advance and looking forward to hearing back many comments!

steve crawford

Re: design for a novice builder

Post by steve crawford » Sun May 13, 2012 4:55 am

You might try a skin-on-frame they are cheap and quick to build...

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sun May 13, 2012 6:21 am

Welcome. Take a look at the Glen-L IMP. Most of us are novice builders also and most of the designs here can be built by a novice so dont worry too much about that. Big ones just take longer than small ones but the skills are largely the same.

https://www.boatdesigns.com/10-Imp-flat ... ducts/175/

-Chris

dyson

Post by dyson » Sun May 13, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks for the comments.
That's a great looking boat. I believe it's Ruth from gentry custom boats. I know they have a kit for $500 but is it possible to build one cheaper?
I was thinking the imp as well but I heard the epoxy can be really expensive, is there any alternative to it?

steve crawford

Post by steve crawford » Mon May 14, 2012 3:57 am

You could build Ruth for under $200 besides the ores...I like using 1/2'' Baltic birch for the frames..and some cedar 2x4's from Home depot and fabric..
Kudzu Craft for fabric.....

dyson

Post by dyson » Mon May 14, 2012 8:02 pm

That's fantastic! As soon as everything is settled, I'll start working on building "Ruth"
Thanks for the help guys!

Return to “Human Power”