Just ordered plans for the 8' Drift pram

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

matt167

Just ordered plans for the 8' Drift pram

Post by matt167 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:24 am

My goal is to start the Cabin Skiff within a year, and after some careful considerations, I decided to instead of buy the plans now just to study, but to buy the plans to a smaller boat I can still make good use of, and actually build it over the winter.. I settled on the 8' drift pram. It will fit easy in the back of my truck, and we have a nice lake local that I have been to but never on, because no motors of any kind are allowed.. Idea with the smaller boat is I will get familiar with the type of plans and procedures of boat building, on a more inexpensive scale.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Just ordered plans for the 8' Drift pram

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:49 am

Thank you for your order! Sounds like a good idea--this boat should whet your appetite!

matt167

Post by matt167 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

I think it will do just fine.. Plenty of places to use the small boat.

Do you happen to know if it can be powered by a small rowboat motor? Theres a small lake that's not barred from engines, but the lake assocation bought out and closed the 1 launch that can take trailers, so the only access is a DEC 'car top' launch to outsiders.. The lake assocation to exclude everyone 'outside' the lake properties made it so the launch is only open to members in May to put the boats on and then in september to get them out. Without a slip for even an outsider who wanted to keep a boat on the lake, because there is no marina.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm

A small lightweight electric motor would be okay--I'd reinforce the transom.

matt167

Post by matt167 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm

That's what I was thinking. 30 LB thrust or less Minn-Kota or somthing like that, with the Transom reinforced.Can't wait to get started on it.

matt167

Post by matt167 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:40 am

Got my plans much quicker than I thought I would. Read thru them figuring I could start it today while the concrete footers for my new porch were drying ( poured them last night ) . BUT. after reading thru, I noticed the plans require transfer paper for a couple of peices. I wanted transfer paper anyway, but it never dawned on me to order the transfer paper with the plans, so I ordered the transfer paper, stitch and glue manual and stitching wire to make the order worth it.. Should be able to start next weekend.

matt167

Post by matt167 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Fast forward quite a bit. Worked on it a bit the last couple weekends since my plywood had come in. traced the plans onto the wood. I'm building it to maximum centerline. I did not follow the plans in the respect of double tracing every 1/2 pattern with 2 sheets of carbon paper. Instead I laid the patterns on a sheet of plywood, faced 1 sheet of carbon to the patterns and then traced all the patterns out, and labeled them backwards.. No pics to this point, Didn't think tracing was interesting. At first the plans were hard to read, but after I realized what I was looking at, it was pretty easy to understand.

All patterns are cut out now, but need to be faired yet. Forgot my camera, so I will grab pics when I'm in the shop next. I used a Porter Cable 12 TPI scrolling blade in a Harbor Freight Jig saw with the speed turned between 2.5 and 3.5 ( speed dial goes to 6 ) depending and it cut like butter. Some of the cross cuts riding close to the edge of the material chattered and split a tad, but I probably could have gone to a 14-16 TPI Bi-metal blade, or possibly a clean cut blade and had it be fine.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:03 pm

Forget the motor.
Build a nice set of Oars.
You'll never have so much fun in such a quiet atmosphere and nothing smelly or expensive in the boat.
Wait till your son gets those Oars. You can sit and laugh, or fish. Sorta like being retired, and somebody else has the boat!

One more thing you might consider is rowing from two different places. In case you have a passenger. :P

matt167

Post by matt167 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:58 am

Oars first definitely. Our local public lake is restricted to no motors, and I plan on going there a lot but I will strengthen the transom so it can use an electric trolling motor on another lake which has a lake committee owners association and they managed to rally the guy who owns the only public launch to shut it down, so now the only access to the lake unless you live on it is a DEC hand launch on the north end of the lake. DEC stocks the lake with fish, but now that basically nobody from the outside can access it unless they have a small boat, it's rarely fished. Fishing is reported as being great from those who use the hand launch. I'd like to get out there.

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Here's a couple shots of my Rowing seat ideas. It's worked out very well.
It not only helps to get a longer stroke out of the Oars, but makes it easier to reach the front and back of the boat when your alone.
I put a 'Lazy Susan' on the carriage and a good comfy seat on the lazy Susan. Perfect for all occasions. You can say Wheeee as you whirl round n' round on the seat.
With the rolling rowing seat, you can put in that second set of Oar Lock Sockets and row from there if you have a passenger.

This is a drawing that might help explain my Seat job. It's all 'stuff' I pickup up after a Tornado went through here.

This is the end view which is still in the boat today. See the Lazy Susan up on top of the carriage?

Top View of old rusty Lazy Susan from a Ditch. The rails are from a wrecked RV Awning, the wheels are from a single Roller blade, the only thing I purchased new was the two All-Threads to use for axles.

Return to “Human Power”