"Dinky" build questions...

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Boat4Fun

"Dinky" build questions...

Post by Boat4Fun » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 am

I'm getting to the end(optimistically) of my Dinky build.

I see the transom board for the optional motor mount is 4 lams on the inside and 1 solid stock piece on the outside. Any ideas why this should only be a solid stock piece on the outside?

Also when attaching the the bow supports lams that but against the bow knee anyone have any suggestions what works best to hold them in place while the epoxy is curing.

Lastly since I have taken over this partially(and when I say partially I mean more accurately barely) built project the joints of where all major components are epoxied are rough and vary greatly in depth and width of epoxy. Any best success in cleaning these up other than sand down. I was thinking of using more epoxy to spread them out(fair?).

Thanks for any help!

thudpucker

Re: "Dinky" build questions...

Post by thudpucker » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 pm

In all my years of building, I used long screws for clamps. (When I didn't have clamps)

And when looking for Rare (Oak etc) don't pass up a big pile of Pallat Boards.

Lowka53

Re: "Dinky" build questions...

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:59 pm

thudpucker wrote:In all my years of building, I used long screws for clamps. (When I didn't have clamps)

And when looking for Rare (Oak etc) don't pass up a big pile of Pallet Boards.
yes most pallets are made of oak or poplar if they are standard. I have been trying to make a deal with Life time products ( my son works for them) to go through their scrap wood bins to pick up old pallets and such.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Human Power”