Sissy Do - Newbie Plywood Question

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

kevune

Sissy Do - Newbie Plywood Question

Post by kevune » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:04 pm

Hi folks,

My friend and I just began to study our plan of the Sissy Do.
We originally wanted to build the 22 foot Riviera but decided to start with a more ''Reasonable'' project to get some experience. We started from nothing and after more than 100 hours of reading (thanks to this community) we still have some questions.......
We still plan to start the Riviera's built within in a year or so..

That being told... We also have to deal with the Language and territory barrier. We are located in Montreal, Canada and the Lumber suppliers are rare. As French speakers, we also had to learn the whole terminology and boats related language.

We are trying to get some more input on how many 1'' X 4 X 8 marine sheets of plywood we need in order to build the Sissy Do.
If any of you know WHERE we can get some boat lumber (And advise) near Montreal, that will be appreciated....

Thanks to all!

efanton

Re: Sissy Do - Newbie Plywood Question

Post by efanton » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:43 pm

I also intend to build the Sissy Do over winter.

According to the bill of materials you will need 5 sheets of plywood
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/canu-row/sissydo-bom.html

2 sheets 1/4" (6mm)
2 sheets 3/8" (9 or 10 mm)
1 sheet 3/4" (18mm)
"it's never too late to have a happy childhood"

matt167

Post by matt167 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:25 am

The Sissy Do only calls for DF AA or AB exterior grade PW which isn't really a boat building wood, yet it's not that common at lumber yards. Many fast paced yards can order it from their supplier if you wait for a shipment. You may find a lumber yard that carries it straight out, Just need to make sure they know what your talking about. I called a yard and had a guy tell me they had it in the 1/4" I needed for $22.50/sheet. When I got there it ended up being BC Pine, which is totally wrong..

If you plan on putting an engine on it that will pull it up to planing speeds, go for marine grade. The same suppliers who can get or have AB/AA Exterior grade DF can also get marine grade. It's the same product, but Marine grade has no voids in the plies and they have no knots, so it will be stronger for a planing hull.

kevune

Post by kevune » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks everyone... Just realized the bill of material was more precise than expected and we messed up the interpretation...
Thanks to this community again for helping!

I found a Lumber and Marine Grade Plywood supplier in Montreal : Langevin Forest.

Regarding the lumber we are looking to get some 1 inch thick white Oak ''4 quarter 4\4'' in 4 inch wide X 8 foot long.
I don't want to mess up with the required quantity and I am not sure how to handle this calculation....
(Again, we plan to work with this wood on the Riviera so we want to get as much experience as possible with it)

Another Newbie question here... Is my deduction right for the lumber calculation :

Based on the Bill Of Material (Number of Piece X length size), the Sissy Do requires 176 feet long of wood. (Is this right?)
That in mind, I must include a potential loss... I've read 20% is a reasonable amount. (Is this right?)
So I need 176*1.2 = 212 foot long...
This makes about 27 planks of 8 feet long.

( http://www.glen-l.com/designs/canu-row/sissydo-bom.html )

Let me know If i'm in the right way !

Thanks !

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:22 pm

Looks pretty ok to me. With that type of contstruction you are not cutting large curves out of straight, wide bits of timber so you may not waste as much as that. If the timber is readily available, maybe get a little less and topup if necessary or get it all if not. It never hurts to have too much though.
One other thing, 1" is the rough cut dimension and you clean it up to say 3/4" thickness. If you are buying dressed timber, you only need to buy 3/4".
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 am

Look at the length of some of the piece. If you can get longer length other than 8ft. it would save having to join pieces to make 14ft, 11ft, etc.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

kevune

Post by kevune » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:32 pm

What is the easiest / more convenient solution?
To use 3/4 Dressed timber or to get some 1'' ?
What does it changes il the building process?

I will also look longer planks as recommended !

Thanks again.

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:20 am

Pre-dressed is more convenient I guess. If you own a thicknesser, rough sawn is cheaper. If you don't own one, and only plan on building a single boat, buy it dressed. Doesn't take long to run through the thicknesser so not too much time saving. Sometimes just depends on what is available.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Return to “Human Power”