Update on Canoe Build

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

tsmitherman

Update on Canoe Build

Post by tsmitherman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm

IMG_6819.JPG
Here's a current picture of the Sassafras 16 canoe that I'm building with my grandson. One more coat of epoxy and we'll be ready to paint her! :D :D
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

red

Re: Update on Canoe Build

Post by red » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:51 pm

looks great

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Looks great Tom. Thought I would see pictures of a 16' Stripper. Is that next in the fleet? Your grandson must be real proud of this accomplishment and I'll bet a few valuable life lessons were taught in the building process. Will you be building paddles next?

Howard
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:02 am

Howard,
We originally bought the Glen-L Stripper plans, but after considering the attention span of my grandson, I decided that gluing in all those strips one-by-one would push the limits of both our patience.

The lapstrake plywood canoe worked well for us. I drew out the strakes on the plywood panels and he used the jigsaw to cut them out, staying way outside the lines. I then finished them up with a router and patten bit, with patterns that I'd made from 1/2" mdf. (He got a little time with the router, with my hands over his on the handles.)

Wiring the panels together was another good project for the grandson - kept him busy for a long time as he inserted the wires and I followed him, tightening them up. After it was glued up, he had the job of removing all the wires.

It's been a good project for both of us!
And yes, I have couple of clear cypress boards set aside to make paddles.
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

Return to “Human Power”