Cedar strip canoe bow/stern problem

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Which option is best to fix my bow and stern?

Option 1
No votes
Option 2
100%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes: 1

timbeiss

Cedar strip canoe bow/stern problem

Postby timbeiss » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:11 am

Greetings friends,

I'm building a 16' cedar strip canoe and mostly following Gil Gilpatrick's building methods. That means no hardwood stems. My intention was to allow the cedar strips to meet past the end stations and glue them together, but I failed to do that well. I cut many of the strips too short, and I can't clamp them together. The picture attached shows my problem.
2013-03-28 17.44.03.jpg
Strips don't meet at bow/stern

However, the rest of the canoe went quite well, so I don't want to start over. This picture shows that my canoe is looking pretty nice, overall.
2013-04-02 07.18.48.jpg
Hull

So, I am wondering if anybody has a suggestion for what I can do at the bow and stern. My thoughts include:

1) Filling the gaps with an epoxy/cedar flour/silica mix and then shaping the bow and stern appropriately.
2) Somehow adding a post-construction outer stem.

I think that option 1 will be stronger, if and only if the epoxy mix is strong enough to bind wood that does not butt up to itself. I haven't worked with epoxy before, so I don't know if that's true. I think option 2 will be very difficult, and because there is no inner stem I'm not confident that it will be strong.

Thanks a million for your suggestions!

billy c

Re: Cedar strip canoe bow/stern problem

Postby billy c » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:54 am

tape up the bow area so there are no leaks and do an end pour of thickened epoxy like many kayak constructions. then after it is dry and that area is solid, cut back on the cedar strips and add an external stem. will be decorative and protect the more delicate cedar strips from impact damage.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

timbeiss

Postby timbeiss » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for the idea. I think that I'm going to see how sealing the end with epoxy goes--I really like the look of canoes without stems. On the other hand, even if it is strong the discoloration from the epoxy filler might ruin the look. I believe if it doesn't work quite as well as I'm hoping for, I will still be able to cut back and apply an outer stem, as you suggest.

Regards,
Tim

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm

i agree... try the repair first and see if it works for you. sure is a lot less work than the stem.
take a picture or two when it is done
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

timbeiss

Postby timbeiss » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:14 am

OK. I was able to do the repair, and I think it worked great! Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. Now it's on to fiberglassing. In the close-up picture, observe the brown spots. That is where there should be wood but isn't. I suppose those will be present in the final product, but I'm a canoer then a craftsman, not the other way around, so a few minor visual blemishes aren't something for me to lose sleep over.
Attachments
2013-04-23 17.54.34.jpg
2013-04-23 17.54.27.jpg

Return to “Human Power”