Not so flat bottomed sissy do

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

RickiO

Not so flat bottomed sissy do

Post by RickiO » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi folks,

I'm building the sissy do and I'm finally making good progress after the chines and sheer seemed to take forever. It might also be the two kids limiting my building time, but I won't admit to that.

My problem is, I have fitted the chines, they are perfectly level with each other, and after steaming, have a nice natural line from bow to transom. They se now secured and epoxied in place However, they just naturally sit about one inch higher than the keel towards the front of the boat, the the planes describes this bat as a flat bottom. The keel and the chines are perfectly level at the transom, but the tight corner around the temporary frame at the front , where the chine turns into the stem has forced the chines higher than the keel. If i were just to plane them, I would have no chine log left at the front.

Is this a big problem? Will they just lower when I remove the temporary frame. Should I remove the temporary frame now? should i add a second piece of wood to the keel? I'm assuming my battens will experience similar problems but i can lifetime them, as they are not in place yet. I glued the keel so that would be difficult to raise

Bill Edmundson

Re: Not so flat bottomed sissy do

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 pm

:? Pictures would help.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

RickiO

Post by RickiO » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:00 am

Thanks Bill,

Pictures attached. any advice very welcome. would hate to put this in the water and find it flip over! This was supposed to be a beginners boat, but those curves on the chines! Blimey.

R.
Attachments
boat 1.jpeg
Looking towards the stern. notice everything lines up
Boat 2.jpeg
as you can see, with the plank resting on the chines, they come in over an inch higher than the Keel.

areame

Post by areame » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:35 am

Are you able to push the chines down with that piece of would going across them?

RickiO

Post by RickiO » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am

Not without applying significant strain to the bow joints at the stem. i imagine if i took the temporary frame out, i might get greater movement, but assume that has to stay in until i finish applying the plywood?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:55 am

At the bow I see you about a 1/4" of fairing on the chines. that gets part of it. Probably build up the keel some. The pictures of the boat running show most of that area out of the water. Remember, when they say flat bottom that is side to side not necessarily end to end.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

RickiO

Post by RickiO » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 pm

Thanks bill, that's helpful. Any thoughts on the risk of taking the temporary frame out atthefront early to try dropping the chines, now that the chine an sheer are in place or is it best to keep the forward temporary frame in place until the plywood sides and bottom are in place?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:22 pm

I'm not familiar with the details of the Sissy Do to tell you about the temp frame. Could you get it back in if you pulled it as a test.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Mrlew

Post by Mrlew » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 am

Humm..

I too am building a Sissy Do and I'm a little further along then you. From the photo I think the issue may be with the angle of your cut where the chine meets the stem. It appears to be a right angle, mine was anything but. I read somewhere that a boat is nothing but a wooden box with no right angles.

When I prepared my chine for cutting I clamped it in it's cutout in the temporary frame, then forced it in place to meet the stem. At the stem I clamped. as well as I could, and used the side edge of the stem as my guide to cut the chine using a hand saw. I had to use a good amount of thickened epoxy to get the thing all together. So far this, and sheer clamp, were by far the hardest part of the build. I found the sheer to be more difficult.

hope that made sense.

I'll take a photo tonight.

Chris

Mrlew

Post by Mrlew » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am

Okay, so I forgot that with the sides on my Sissy Do I can't take photos of the area in question. I found some photos I took with my phone and posted them here. Hopefully they will help with what I'm saying. Let me know if you have questions.

Chris

Return to “Human Power”