Kidyak assembly questions

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

psaam

Kidyak assembly questions

Postby psaam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:12 pm

Hi All,

Completely new to boat building but tackling a pair of kidyaks for my two sons. I have virtually completed laying out, cutting and sanding the patterns and now working on early assembly. A couple questions:

I read that "Cut out parts may be pre-coated both sides with an epoxy encapsulation system. This saves work and resin as well as providing a smoother coating." By this I understand that I should coat boat sides of all parts with the correct mixture of Poxy Shield A Epoxy Resin and Poxy Shield Part B Slow Hardener that came with my kit, is that correct? Or do I only use the hardener when I am making a resin putty to join parts? Do I encapsulate with one coat? More than one coat?

In order for the Kidyak plans to be made out of a single sheet of plywood there are a couple of butt joints required. The instructions state "butt join together and bond with a strip of 3" fiberglass tape". Is fiberglass tape just the 3" wide piece of fiberglass that came with the fiberglass kit? To butt join I simple cut the fiberglass to length, and then apply the Epoxy Resin is that correct? Do I do this on one or both sides of the pattern?

The plans then state to use butt blocks behind the seams by with instructions to "Assemble the parts directly over the pattern; glue the butt block over the joining side members and weight or temporarily nail together until the adhesive cures." What adhesive should I be using for the butt blocks? Just a standard wood glue?

So is my overall process:

1. Encapsulate all parts with Epoxy
2. Butt join seems with fiberglass
3. Glue butt blocks into place

Sorry for the basic questions, but looking forward to turning a pile of flat patterns into a boat shape shortly.

Paul

Ronb172

Re: Kidyak assembly questions

Postby Ronb172 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Welcome Paul. I'm building my first boat so my experience is limited, but I'll chime in here.

#1....I'm not sure here. Seems to me that if you encapsulate first, then there will be problems when you bend the sheeting into shape.
#2....The butt joint should be glassed just on the outside of the hull.
#3....The butt block on the back side is all you need. I don't know the kidyak but assuming the sides are 1/4 ", the book says to use 3/4" screws in 2 rows 2" apart and 1" from the edge. Then grind off the screw ends that protrude.

I'm sure smarter people will chime in here, but this is my .02 cents. If you don't have the "Boatbuilders Notebook" and "Boatbuilding with Plywood", I'd get them. Great reading for us novice builders.

Main thing is to have fun
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

8) you can coat all part with epoxy shield before putting together. part one and part two of epoxy shield are combined to make this product to cut parts and also used to bond the pieces together ok the tape is used on the outside using unthickened epoxy to smooth over the joint. your make a glue out epoxy shield using wood flower or other product that should be in the kit to make the glue up (no filler is used to encapsulate you also don't use it to bond the tape on the out side) make your butt joint and put a good amount of this thicken epoxy where you are placing the backing block( semi light coat covering the whole service of one side of the backing block) after you have pre drill starter holes in it and the pieces being joined place the screws being careful not to over tighten if you do you will not get a good bond due to starving then bond between. If I remember right this is a stitch and glue build you would use thickened epoxy to fill in between the stitching at fist. after letting it cure you remove the stitching and fill in the gapes with thickened epoxy. that should get you started. if I need correction guys pipe in. :roll: :wink:
epoxy for encapsulation part 1 and 2 combined
epoxy for bonding(gluing) and filling part 1 and 2 combined with filler material added
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

psaam

Postby psaam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses, I think everything makes sense. The kidyak is a stitch and glue boat, so no significant bending of the plywood, which I guess allows for encapsulation prior to assembly.

My kit came with Part A and Part B as well as Microspheres and Silica Filler. For the epoxy, I'll assume Part A and Part B are analogous to Part 1 and Part 2. If I understand correctly, unthickened epoxy, which is a mix of Part A and Part B with no filler is used for both encapsulation as well as the fiberglass seam. Epoxy thicken with a mix of microspheres and silica filler is used for the butt blocks.

In reading a little further from the "Pattern Instructions" that came with my plans I read "Butt joints can be glued without fasteners only if epoxy adhesives are used. Given that I'm leaning towards not screwing in the butt blocks but just epoxing them into place. They are in fairly straight sections of the sides and deck of the kayak, so shouldn't see much if any force.

Thanks again.

Paul

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:33 pm

you also use thickened epoxy any where you are making a joint :wink: between to pieces of wood
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Human Power”