Transom - 14' Drift boat

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

kmashood

Transom - 14' Drift boat

Postby kmashood » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Okay… So I have built the frame and forms for the 14' Drift Boat (wife bought me plans for Christmas) and I am at the point of buying the epoxy kits, fasteners, and planking.

The plans call for a 1" x 3", 4" and 5" Transom Frame- My question: is this frame in addition to two layers of 1/2 " plywood to complete the transom?

Is the transom ultimately three layers thick (one layer of frame and two layers of ply)? If so, should I use a finish wood for the frame? Is the frame optional? It looks like some builders simply used a 1/2" ply for the inner transom (no frame), fastened the longitudinals, and then capped with the 1/2" outer ply.

Lowka53

Re: Transom - 14' Drift boat

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:42 am

8) I would build it to the plans hey Glen has had a lot of experience designing good safe boats now if you have fifty years expense as a marine engine or you want to take a chance to have your boat come apart or hurt somebody do as you will. But I won't be taking a ride in it :roll: :|
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

nivek

Postby nivek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:56 am

I am also starting the 14' drifter. I have the setup, form A,B, and C, and the transom built so far.
My transom will be three layers thick (two layers of 1/2" ply and one layer 3/4" hardwood). I will put the last layer of 1/2" ply on after the longitudinals and side planking. I started with 1/2" ply and the 3/4" stock epoxied to it.

I could start sharing photos. I was waiting until it started to look like a boat.

kmashood

Postby kmashood » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

nivek wrote:I am also starting the 14' drifter. I have the setup, form A,B, and C, and the transom built so far.
My transom will be three layers thick (two layers of 1/2" ply and one layer 3/4" hardwood). I will put the last layer of 1/2" ply on after the longitudinals and side planking. I started with 1/2" ply and the 3/4" stock epoxied to it.

I could start sharing photos. I was waiting until it started to look like a boat.

Perfect. What wood choices have you made for the transom frame and planking? What are you planning for the longitudinals?

I just finished the forms and frame and may go buy and order wood today.

Happy to send pics back and forth as it looks like we are in about the same place on construction.

K

nivek

Postby nivek » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Other than the plywood; I decided to build it using whatever my home depot offered. So I am using a clear pine!
For the plywood; I am using a marine grade douglas fir.
I was even going to use deck screws, but the shortest deck screw available is 1 1/4". So I just ordered some 7/8" and 1" bronze screws.

Yes, let's share pics...this is my first boat!

Regards,
nivek

nivek

Postby nivek » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:01 pm

I went ahead and started a new topic "14' drifter in West Bloomfield Michigan"
Check out my pics!

Return to “Human Power”