Standing platform in the bottom of 8/10ft drift pram?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Thenders

Standing platform in the bottom of 8/10ft drift pram?

Postby Thenders » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:40 am

I'm close to getting plans for either the 8 or 10 ft drift pram. I plan to use it for lake and canal fly fishing in south florida. While it seems like the width of these boats should be nice and stable for fishing, I'm not certain about stand up casting from the bottom of the boat.

It looks like many traditional full-size drift boats have slatted casting 'platforms' attached to the hull somehow. I suppose this gives you a flat 'level' place to stand. Would it be necessary/worth it/possible to add one of these to the bottom of the drift pram? I don't particularly want to if it isn't necessary. This is my first build so I want to 'kiss'.

The other thing that is strange to me, perhaps being a newbie even to boats, is how one can stand on a 1/4 inch piece of plywood casting big bass bugs without stressing it too much. I am about 160lbs.

For those suggesting I build a full-sized drift boat, I want to start with something simple and small. I might get there eventually.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Thanks!
Taylor

jprice

Re: Standing platform in the bottom of 8/10ft drift pram?

Postby jprice » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:22 am

With the bottom being pretty flat already, I don't see why you'd need any platform.
I wouldn't worry about it being 1/4" ply either. The sides add rigidity, as well as the seats.
Don't make the mistake I did years ago when I built a canoe which called for 1/4" ply, and I decided to up it to 3/8 because I was worried about durability. It made it waaaay too heavy.
Stick to the plans.... ;)

Thenders

Postby Thenders » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks for the advice! I was also thinking of going to 3/8", but I will stick to the plans !

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:22 pm

I fished for some years in an 8' (Kit) pram.
Fly fishing was great in that little boat. Just stand in the middle of the boat when you cast.
The bottom in my boat was 1/4" Marine ply. Painted, no Glass.
It held me standing just fine.

Return to “Human Power”