newbie S&G - please tell me if my stitches/joints are ok

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Thenders

newbie S&G - please tell me if my stitches/joints are ok

Postby Thenders » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 am

Hi folks, I'm on my first build - 10ft drift pram. I'm working through the process of tightening the stitches and making sure the boat is square before moving to fillets. Seats are not in yet.

Can some experienced builders look at the photos and tell me if the joints are ok like this? I'm not sure how tight or how cleanly they need to be connected both at corners and just where two boards meet i.e. do they need to be tight such that there is no visible "crack" or space between them?

At the corners, does everything need to line up exactly, or should I expect to plane it into a smooth corner after fillets but before fiberglass? After fiberglass?

I am hoping to have a clear finish on the inside, but will definitely fiberglass and paint the outside. Thanks for your help.

Taylor

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

jprice

Re: newbie S&G - please tell me if my stitches/joints are ok

Postby jprice » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am

I haven't done a S&G boat, but can tell you that epoxy works much better with small gaps as opposed to tight joints.

Gayle Brantuk

Re: newbie S&G - please tell me if my stitches/joints are ok

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:56 pm

Thenders,

Your joints look good. Epoxy fills gaps and any imperfections you have along the seams or other areas once the fillets are cured can be filled or sanded. This would be done prior to fiberglassing. Keep up the good work!

Return to “Human Power”