Driftboat double ender

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

dhydock

Driftboat double ender

Postby dhydock » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 am

I am in the beginning stages of building a 16 foot wide bottom high side driftboat, and I am considering making it a double-ender (although I am far away from this stage). My question is, how difficult would it be to build it with a "pointed" stern (similar to the bow) instead of the "flat" transom? DOes anyone have experience building this type of river dory?

Thanks for any help!

thudpucker

Re: Driftboat double ender

Postby thudpucker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:17 pm

Firs: Where are you located? What Water are you gonna use this boat in?

Long ago I (a teenager) helped build 16 of these McKenzie River drift boat Knock-off's.
The builder was a guide. He had me Guiding before that summer was over. Life can sure be a good trip sometimes.

We built Double enders.
On one or two of them, we flattened out the top end of the stern so a Motor could be used. Neither of us ever used a motor though.

The Pointy Stern is real handy when you get into some tall white Water.
A square end would push you savagely from the rear.
With the Tall pointy after end you still have good control with the oars.
Make sure you get a lot of "Rocker" on the bottom lines. I sorta recall we had about a Foot of "Rocker" from front to back.

Years later, from a plan, I built another Drift boat.
In addition to the "Rocker" this design had an Arc across the bottom. About an inch if I recall right.
I don't know if that Bottom Arc was helpful.

I had one trip in that boat. My Son and I got some large King Salmon, and while we were taking the boat out at the end of the River Drift, a guy bought my Boat and Trailer for Cash. :lol:

Life can be really perplexing at times. I never even found out whether I liked the boat or not.

jprice

Postby jprice » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:55 am

Do you mean 16' long? 16' wide would be a really huge boat.

Anyway, Bill Edmundson is currently building a bartender style boat, which is double ended. Maybe he'll chime in here.
I'm not aware of any glen-l designs like this, but here's the bartender plans: http://www.bartenderboats.com/design.html Maybe some of their plans could help your design.
Last edited by jprice on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:07 am

dhydock

It's kind of like building the bow twice. The Bartender was a smooth curve stem. The stern is straight to the keel. You can see pictures on page 2 of the thread in power boats.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Human Power”