Boat Building in Belize

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

tsmitherman

Boat Building in Belize

Post by tsmitherman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:57 pm

I haven't been on the forum much in awhile - been busy recovering from kidney removal surgery. I'm pretty much fully recovered now, though, and I have question:

I'm headed to Belize in the morning to work a few days with a missionary couple from our church. There is a great need there in the schools for a course of study that will teach useful skills to local students. My thought was that a program based on small-boat building would be ideal, but there are problems with resources, such as:

1. Glue, hardware, epoxy and glass are VERY hard to procure, and VERY expensive there, so I would need to minimize the use of these.
2. I doubt that marine grade plywood is available, and it would also be cost prohibitive.

On the plus side, I can get air dried 14-16" wide clear 4/4 mahogany for $1.00 (USD) per board foot. There may be a lighter weight wood available, but I was so mezmerised when I saw the mahogany at the sawmill, I didn't notice anything else.

So ... I'm looking for a small design that could be built of solid mahogany (heavy) wood, using a minimal amount of fiberglass, hardware, and glue.

Additionally, there is a small river that most locals have ready access to - very suitable for a canoe or ????

Any suggestions?
Tom
------------------------------
36' 1969 Willard Aft-Pilothouse Trawler
Blog: www.genesisboat.blogspot.com

Knot-So-Fast (BoJest) SOLD

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

mrintense

Re: Boat Building in Belize

Post by mrintense » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm

Tom,

I would suggest checking out duckworks magazine. There are numerous small boat builders there , access to small boat plans, and a place to start.

http://duckworksmagazine.com/index.php
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:31 pm

weird, not sure why that posted twice
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:55 pm

Carl

No, it didn't post twice. :wink:

Tom,

We'll be at Ambergues(sp) Key next week for our 20th year trip.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:25 pm

Bill,
Hope you and Lauren enjoy your trip - I hear it's beautiful there (Ambergris Caye). We visited one of the Cayes south of there in July, but only for a day trip. So incredibly gorgeous that it almost didn't look real!

We'll be inland at the edge of the rain forrest on this trip, but hopefully next time we'll stay on the coast and have a little more time for recreation (maybe even do a little fishing) :D .
Attachments
IMG_1490.JPG
Tom

"It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one can't do." - Garfield

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm

:D Good to see you back.Say I was wondering,on your Knot-so-fast,where did you locate the fuel tank and how big was it ? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Chugalug,
Sorry to be so long answering, but I couldn't get a good internet connection in Belize.
My gas tank is a 19 gallon unit. I made two seats, one on either side of the outboard at the rear corners of the cockpit. The gas tank is under the seat on the port side, and two batteries are under the seat on the starboard side.

However, this puts too much weight at the rear of the boat, and I had to add about 150 pounds of ballast up front under the v-berth to counterbalance the weight. When we add a couple of people and a cooler in the cockpit, the boat still squats in the back.

I plan to reconfigure the interior in the near future, and move the tank and batteries inside, close to the center of buoyancy point.
Tom

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 am

:D How was your vacation?.The plans for fuel tanks call out for 13 gal side tanks.I can't find any that are that dimensions.Jamestown has some 14 gal. tanks that might fit in the bottoms of the hanging closets in front of bulkheads,see any problems with that?the 13 gal. ones are10-1/2 squarex32 long;they would fit between frames,but might cause problems because of stick out. :DThe 14's are about 12-1/2 deep so would fit in closets.How much extra do I have to enlarge closet for expansion?

tsmitherman

Post by tsmitherman » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:33 am

We had a good trip. Weather was great - 80s during the day and 60s at night, and we flew in to Birmingham on Tuesday night and were met with 29 degrees!

I'd get the tanks as close to the placement shown in the plans as possible. I searched and could not find any shaped like those shown on the plans either, and decided that the plumbing for one tank was much simpler. If you are gong to use two or more batteries, they can offset the weight of a single tank placed on one side. Of course, as the tank gets less full, your weight will shift some, but I seldom go below 1/2 tank before refilling.
Tom

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:45 am

:D What a bummer(29);We had -45 wind chill yesterday.Isee the plan calls out for 20 gal water tank up in front of head too.Maybe that extra weight up there helps.I was going to try something else for fresh water and waste tanks.don't know where i'll put them tho.I ordered another 2 gal CPES kit so I can finish sealing boat before I put floor in.Actually,the 14 gal tanks are18 longx11.75 widex16.25 tall-13's are32.5 longx10.19 widex10.19 tall :D

Return to “Human Power”