Any Can-Yak Builders Out There?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

Moeregaard

Any Can-Yak Builders Out There?

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:17 am

With our Zip pretty much down for the count due to lack of water in our local lake, I decided I needed another boat-building project while the lake (hopefully) fills back up this winter. I've always liked the looks of the Can-Yak, and bought the plans a few years ago. It should be a relatively quick build, but I'd like to hear from other builders regarding any unexpected challenges as well as their thoughts on how the boat behaves on the water. I started cutting material (Honduran mahogany) for the frames this weekend, and planking will be okoume ply with fiberglass on the outside.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Moeregaard

Re: Any Can-Yak Builders Out There?

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:20 pm

OK--all four frames (we're building two boats) are glued up. First step in this exercise was to make masonite patterns so that the mahogany bits could be finished with a pattern-following router bit. This has exceeded my expectations. While there are some very minor issues related to paper stretch, all pieces are identical and fit the assembly fixture I made perfectly. Next on my list is to laminate and trim the stem pieces. Later this week I will visit the friendly folks at Conejo Hardwoods in search of material suitable for the keel batten, chines and sheers. I have a feeling that these things are going to come together rather quickly.

-Mark Shipley

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:00 am

Nice to see you building these Mark. Hope you get some water there again. Did you get any of that rain LA got last week?

gap998

Post by gap998 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:00 pm

Photos! :)
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm

There will be photos, once I get a few more parts made. I fabricated a fixture that indexes the insides of the frame members, using 1" dowels glued into a sheet of MDF and making the job of fabricating four identical frames really easy. As for the rain, we're hoping that the promises of an El Nino year hold true. Presently, we're only getting the humidity left over from the storms that are pounding northern Mexico on a regular basis. With temps running in the high 80s on up to 100 F, you guys in the Midwest would feel right at home here!

gap998

Post by gap998 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:58 am

California is quite welcome to take some of Wales' rain. :wink:
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:28 am

OK--here are a few pics of my progress on the Can-Yak. First up are the assembly fixture and templates I came up with to make building identical frames, well, a little more identical. It's nothing more than 1" dowels glued into a sheet of 1/2" MDF, using the inside of the frame members as indexing points. Since we're building two boats, we needed four frames and this made things much easier. Last photos show the assembled frames and roughed-out stems. Today's task is to clean up the chine logs and sheer clamps on the router. I'm only working on this thing on weekends, so progress won't be as quick as I'd like, but I should have both boats ready for water by Christmas.
Attachments
Stems.JPG
FrameTemplates.JPG
FrameJig.JPG

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:23 am

After a four-month delay, I'm finally back onto the Can-Yak build. Did a final sanding of all pieces and encapsulated them in epoxy. I also ordered the 6mm Okoume ply for the hull planking this morning. If I can avoid any more interruptions, this should be a relatively quick build.

-Mark Shipley

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Been a while since I've provided an update, but both boats are now planked and decked, fiberglassed and ready for prime and paint. Hulls will be white System 3, while decks will be left in clear-finished birch. Anyone thinking that building two boats is only slightly more work than just building one is in for a surprise. Building two boats is twice the work of one--regardless of how well you manage your time. Should be on the water in less than a month now.

-Mark Shipley
Attachments
IMG_1044.JPG

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon May 23, 2016 10:37 am

Very nice--congratulations!

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:48 am

Thank you for the compliments! Not much progress on these things, because life keeps getting in the way. Latest is a dove's nest, with little ones, in our carport workshop that is preventing me from spraying any paint. Not sure what effect the fumes might have on the birds, so I'm delaying painting until the youngsters fly the coop. Photos will be posted soon, I hope...

-Mark Shipley

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:25 am

Well, we launched both Can-Yaks yesterday, up at the Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard/Ventura. The boats paddle really well and received loads of compliments along with the usual "Did you build that?" questions. I had concerns that someone would try to sit or stand on the 1/8"-plywood decks, so some "NO STEP" decals from an aircraft supplier emphasize the decking as an area off-limits to pedestrian traffic--and butts. Both boats weigh about 75 lbs. without the seats, so they are a little heavy when compared to anything modern.

With two persons aboard, things are a little cramped and the boats ride pretty low in the water, so I would conclude that even the longer version shown here is a one-person boat with room for the occasional passenger. The twelve-foot boat is definitely for one only. It was also no surprise that they are more stable when the cockpit sole is removed and the seat cushions placed directly on the bottom of the hull, so my plan to incorporate a couple of folding canoe seats into these things is probably not going to happen. With my 185 "el-bees" all the way aft, the boats ride slightly high up forward and seem to paddle best in this configuration.

Instead of building my own paddles, I picked up a pair of Bending Branches paddles with the maximum length (240cm) available. This last detail makes the boats easier to handle with their relatively wide beam.

Once I work out some minor details regarding seating, etc., I think these things are going to be a lot of fun and I can highly recommend the Can-Yak.
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1109.JPG

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:00 pm

vupilot wrote:Great looking pair!
Thank you, Chris! It has been a fun build.

Return to “Human Power”