Any Can-Yak Builders Out There?

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

curt1893

Re: Any Can-Yak Builders Out There?

Postby curt1893 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:28 pm

They look great! I plan on building one sometime this year hopefully. As a first time builder, and I know this question gets thrown around a lot, do you remember about how much something like this cost to build? I'd love to start building one, but I'd rather know of how much it cost someone else before I start sinking money into it.
Christopher Curtis

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:27 am

The Can-Yak is a great boat and you won't regret building one--or two! My receipts totaled approximately $3,200 for both boats, but I could have probably reduced that somewhat by going with Douglas fir for the framing and planking. Instead, I went with Honduran Mahogany and Okoume ply, at $9.00 per board/foot and $90 per sheet respectively. Fiberglass and paint are where the costs seem to really mount up. It's a really fun and easy build, and one that'll keep you off the streets and out of trouble for a couple of months, so I can highly recommend the Can-Yak.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

curt1893

Postby curt1893 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:13 am

Mark, thanks for the info. I plan on going with the cheaper material to keep my cost down, but I'm worried that it might be too heavy. I plan on making the 14' version, so hopefully I won't have any issue putting it on top of my SUV.

I received my plans last night and have been looking them over. Did you find it hard to transfer a scaled diagram of the planking/decking to the finished product? My idea was to do some basic lofting to get the general idea onto the wood and then trim the boards after I can hold it up to the frames.

Any additional tips?

Thanks as always.
Christopher Curtis

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:35 pm

My 14' Can-Yaks weigh about 75 lbs. each, so most SUV racks should be able to handle one--or two. I haul them on Thule racks on a Dodge Ram, so this hasn't been a consideration. If you can find some decent 3/16" ply, you could probably shave off a few pounds.

The deck planking is really a no-brainer. Once you have the hulls righted and faired, the planking will just sort of lie down where it's supposed to. I can't overemphasize the need for getting everything faired properly. This is one area where taking your time really pays off. My decking is actually 1/8" ply with a birch veneer, at around twenty bucks a sheet. I had intended to use Baltic birch, but couldn't find it in sheets larger than five feet square.

There's nothing wrong with using lower-cost material, but at the end of the day your major costs will most likely be tied up in fiberglass, epoxy and paint. The wood cost is secondary. Douglas fir would have worked well, but in my neck of the woods it was almost as expensive as the Okoume.

Feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to send you some photos taken during my build.

-Mark Shipley

curt1893

Postby curt1893 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:51 am

Mark,

Did you use a single 16' board for your chine and sheer or did you do some kind of joint? I've been reading a lot and I understand that you should do joints in flat parts of the boat, but ours have a continuous curve so I was concerned about using butt joints on the chine/sheer members.

This concern might be for no reason since it's completely possible that I might find 16' boards local, but I thought I would ask.

Once I make some progress I might start my own build thread and would appreciate all the comments and feedback that you have.

Thanks again.
Christopher Curtis

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Curt, I scarf-joined the pieces for my sheers and chine logs. I made a 90-degree fence for my miter saw to cut the angles and simply epoxied the lengths together. A 10-degree angle will give you a roughly 6:1 scarf joint, which is adequate for this application. I ripped the pieces slightly oversized, so that I could do a clean-up rip after they were joined. This has been covered by others elsewhere, but here's my 90-dgree fence in all its glory (see attached photo).
Pic#4 copy.JPG

-Mark Shipley

Return to “Human Power”