Christmas present……….some assembly required ! !

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

kens

Christmas present……….some assembly required ! !

Postby kens » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:41 am

My wife has been bugging me for couple years to get her a rowboat. She is active in exercises, treadmills, rowing machines, etc.
She got the plans for a Wee Vera cedar strip canoe for Christmas. Some assembly required! :shock:
I have found a source for clear Cypress locally, I have a couple boards of light weight Honduran Mahogany, and some Ash.
I am asking if anybody has pics of the different styles of stripping the planks.
I see there is about 4 different ways to strip the planks:
1. start at the sheer and apply the strips all the way to the keel,
2. start at the keel and run the strips all the way to the sheer,
3. start at the chine and run the strips both up & down,
4. start at both the sheer & keel and run the strips to meet at the chine,

Can anyone post pics of their different stripping styles, or post links to good pics?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Dave Grason

Re: Christmas present……….some assembly required ! !

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:53 am

You definitely want to start at the sheer and work towards the keel. By doing it this way, you will insure that your strips are level with the waterline and the overall look of the finished canoe is pleasing to the eye. This will give you an opening as you get near the keel that resembles a "football" and that's what pro canoe builders call it. In order to fill it up and close the football, you will need to custom fit each strip but that's ok because the football will be right on the top of the building form and has very easy access. Also, these strips will be on the bottom of the canoe when it's in use and so, they won't show.

Before you go too fast too soon, consider coming up with some way to bead and cove (tongue and groove?) your strips. If all your strips are cut square, gaps will open up as they strips are shaped around the curvatures of the building form. This will require a LOT of filling and sanding that can be avoided with bead and cove shaping.
Last edited by Dave Grason on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:55 am

Ken

This is sheer to keel.

Bill
Attachments
Canoe2.jpg
Canoe1.jpg
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:06 am

Bill, did you build this canoe? I think you did but it's been some time now. I think it's holding up really well. It's BEAUTIFUL!!

I've been getting set up to build a canoe this winter. I know that, when I get it finished, I will use it hard. I won't necessarily be gentle with it.
I also want to make my own paddles because I can never find a nice wooden paddle that is long enough for my 6' 1" frame. To me, half the fun of building my own canoe is building the paddles to go with it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:21 am

Dave

Yes, I built it. It is my own design. I had my own ideas after years of canoeing. I bought the paddles. These are old pictures.

Rick, at Noah's, has bundles of bead and cove strips. Mine are square cut. I used dark Elmer's wood glue which doesn't show much.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:24 am

Is the Elmers glue still holding up OK?
My plans suggest Titebond II
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:18 am

Ken

My canoe is glassed inside and out. The glass and epoxy are what gives it strength. The glue just gives it the initial shape. The boat is 17' long. It is 1/8" thick with no frames. It is, pretty much ridged. Gunwales, thwarts, and seats are ash.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:44 pm

Canoecraft, by Ted Moores, is a great how-to reference for wood strip canoe building.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Barry

I think that is where I found the Elmer's glue note.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Ibrew2be

Postby Ibrew2be » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Bill:
That could well be. It has been 3 or 4 years since I read the book, but I do recall that's what Ted recommended using.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:33 pm

There is several kinds of the so called 'football' bottom,

here is stripping from keel & sheer out to the chines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPo25GRLdc

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:57 am

Ken-
sounds like a great project. i have another strip build on the table too. just need a true New England winter to make me go into hibernation and get started.
visually if you setup your forms, then strike a laser line at the true waterline of the hull, that gives you your first strip. also lay your keel center. then you fill, spiling your strips as you progress to the sheer, the result is less of a football shape and draws more on the actual flow of the boat's hull shape. here is a link to my Guillemot if you would like an example
http://home.metrocast.net/~bcheckerberry/billys_belle_isle/Guillemot_Expedition_kayak.html#8
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:00 am

Those canoes are nice ,Bill and Bill.How did you guys hold strips on until glue dried? a friend of mine built his with square sided strips and used plastic packing strips and staples for his canoe.after glue dried then grab strip and pull up to remove all staples.I've been toying with starting a canoe project this winter(maybe square stern to accomodate elec motor.I have the canoe book you guys mentioned with the plans of some rigs (tables of offsets).
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:27 am

I used staples. I put electrical tape on the forms so I would not get a bond.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 am

i used a brad from my nail gun centered on the strip at each form. the carefully placed nail hole which when filled with epoxy (you do not have to fill the nail hole with any filler)became part of the final appearance.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Human Power”