Starting Fold up boat as a first build. Questions

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

BillS

Starting Fold up boat as a first build. Questions

Postby BillS » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:41 am

I Have purchased plans for the G-L 10' Fold up boat and am trying to make sense of the plans. It gives separate patterns for each end of the long pieces so that 8' ply can be used. Then they are to be spliced together somehow.

This seems to me to be unnecessarily complicated. Wouldn't it be better to splice 2 sheets together first and then cut out a single pattern? I don't have experience joining ply ends and would hate to mess it up after cutting the pieces out. Also, isn't scarfing the best way to join ply ends where 8/1 ratio is used in the joint? That seems to make it even more difficult to get accurate lengths using 2 patters for each piece.

I must be missing something. Any help is appreciated!
Last edited by BillS on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

courtem

Re: Starting Fold up boat as a first build. Questions

Postby courtem » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:46 pm

I just finished my first boat from free plans. It also needed to have the planking joined from 8 foot plywood to create a 13 foot section. I used butt joints because I do not have the capability of creating a precision scarf joint. just look at the procedure for the but joint and it will be less daunting than trying to do a scarf on thin plywood. Mike c

BillS

Postby BillS » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks for the reply. Luckily, I found a local supplier will sell sheets with puzzle joints at the end for making long pieces. I will make one long sheet and then try to put the two half patterns together for one trace.

Ticand19

Postby Ticand19 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:00 am

courtem wrote:I just finished my first boat from free plans. It also needed to have the planking joined from 8 foot plywood to create a 13 foot section. I used butt joints because I do not have the capability of creating a precision scarf joint. just look at the procedure for the but joint and it will be less daunting than trying to do a scarf on thin plywood. Mike c

woah! I would love to start folding up my first boat also.. can you give me some tips on how to start? :) Thanks!

Return to “Human Power”