First-timer Can-Yak build

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

curt1893

Re: First-timer Can-Yak build

Postby curt1893 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 am

@Moeregaard Thanks for all of the help. I've been working hard the past couple of months and finally got it to a point where I could put it in the water. I still have a lot I need to do to get it looking pretty, but after fiber-glassing the bottom, I didn't want to wait any longer. This is the first time I've ever been in a canoe/kayak, so it took a few minutes to get comfortable balancing and paddling.

image1.JPG

I noticed that is was less stable than I expected it to be. It tracks straight, so I haven't put a skeg board on the bottom, but I wanted you opinion on if you did or not. I'm trying to determine if a 1 x 1 board along the bottom would really reduce the risk of tipping (or at least the speed of it rolling over in calm water when some leans to the side). While it adds to the buoyancy, I feel like it would create 96 square inches of surface area pushing water as it rolls. Not sure. Any thoughts?
Christopher Curtis

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 am

Chris

Just keep paddling. You will get use to it. Your balance will improve. You will even learn to use it. You need to roll your hips back and forth with each stroke.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Moeregaard

Postby Moeregaard » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Congrats on the launch! Your boat looks great. The Can Yak is a little tender around center, but you will get used to it. They're pretty stable on the water. When paddling solo, they seem to perform best if you're all the way aft in the cockpit. I did add the 1" skeg to the boats, but these will have little to no effect on the tippiness. What they will do is allow the boat to track better in a straight line, and will also minimize drift in a crosswind.

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Return to “Human Power”