Whitehall 17 design

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

arseny

Whitehall 17 design

Post by arseny » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 am

Hello!

I want to build a boat with sides design like this - Image
- can I do this using your plans? Or I can build only smooth sides with your plans?

Sincerely,
Arseny
Sincerely,
Arseny

sproggy

Re: Whitehall 17 design

Post by sproggy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:53 am

Hello Arseny and welcome.

Glen-L don't offer clinker/lapstrake designs. I suggest you have a look at designs by Francois Vivier, Selway Fisher and many others who offer both kits and plans for this style of boat if that is what you want to build. Or take a look through the designs on the Glen-L website and maybe you will like one of those :-)

arseny

Post by arseny » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:26 am

Hello!

Thank you for info :)
Sincerely,
Arseny

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Hi Arseny,

Read with interest your inquiry on building a lapstrake Whitehall type design from Glen-L plans. Although the Whitehall 17 plans specify strip plank or fiberglass construction, I don't think it would be terribly difficult to adapt for glued lapstrake construction. The full size templates would allow you to build the male mold for spiling and attaching the strakes... a somewhat more difficult task than strip planking but very doable. Frames would be added after the fact. I think the finished boat would be really beautiful...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:39 pm

The boat pictured was actually built with Glen-L plans:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=24641

You should be able to get details on how it was planked from the builder (scottinwv).
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:06 am

steveh41 wrote:The full size templates would allow you to build the male mold for spiling and attaching the strakes... a somewhat more difficult task than strip planking but very doable. Frames would be added after the fact.
There are plenty of different ways to build a boat but that's not how I'd do this one. Two approaches spring to mind - either use ply transverse frames which would be set up first acting as moulds and then have the strakes attached to them or set the moulds up undersize, lay frames (laminated or steamed) on top of them and then attach the strakes to those frames. I wouldn't reckon to frame a lapstrake boat after planking, but it might be possible if you replaces the moulds with frames one at a time. Seems like unnecessarily hard work, though.

Return to “Human Power”