sabotina instructions

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

hideawayboats

sabotina instructions

Post by hideawayboats » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:23 am

I've spent the last couple of days going over the plans and build instructions for the Sabotina standard build. I was disappointed to realize that the instructions, in my opinion, will not be detailed enough for any beginner boat builder to understand the steps and method involved. Are there any more detailed instructions available? Thanks for any help. I've built a kit boat from CLC, stitch and glue, but, it didn't prepare me at all for doing a standard build.

Sincerely,
Steve Wade

billy c

Re: sabotina instructions

Post by billy c » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 am

Steve have no fear in building something like this. Especially since you have built a CLC kit you have all the skills you need. Some great picture sequences on the Sabontina page of one under construction and lots of help here on the forum ...you will do fine
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:55 am

Hi Steve,
I thought the same thing when I got my 1st set of plans, I kept looking in the tube for more instructions, and saying, “how in the hell is someone supposed to build a boat with this!”
Then I got on the forum .....and now I’m on my 3rd boat. There’s plenty of wonderful folks here to help you. Doesn’t matter if you’re building a 48’ Klondike or an 8’ PeeWee, We get excited about them all.
Step 1: take a step
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:26 pm

You're going to want to get "Boatbuilding with Plywood" the excellent text by Mr. Witt himself. Also, "Boatbuilder's Notebook" is great. Most if not all of your questions will be answered by those books. The rest is what the forum is for. In fact, you could probably find all you need somewhere here on the forum. It's just much better organized in the books. I think the instructions for these boats pretty much assume that you have read the text. Don't let the unknown intimidate you. We've all been there.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:32 pm

(edit) Looks like hoodman and I were responding at the same time with similar responses..... I'll still go ahead and echo his with mine. With most things in boat-building there is often about 3 tried and true methods of performing a given task. Be it just transferring plan lines to plywood, how to join the frame pieces, etc. So a step by step may not call out the way you were thinking would be best way of doing it given your goals, tools available, and so on.

"The Boat Building with Plywood" book by Glen Witt has a lot of the information you seek. Often it describes more than one method when looking at how to do each major task, with good pictures and illustrations. You can then decide which method you are most comfortable with doing to build your boat.

Go ahead and just fire-away with questions here and this group will get you going in the right direction.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Good to talk to you on the phone, hideaway boats. However, my answer wasn't correct. On those temporary forms, you'll be attaching the chines and sheers with finish nails from the outside. Then once the boat is finished and flipped, you'll remove the form and it should be able to be pulled or cut out of the boat and finish nails removed with the form. I hope that clarifies that.

hideawayboats

Post by hideawayboats » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's been a great help to know that this type of knowledge is readily available. My original question is this, on the Sabotina build the boat is built over a temporary frame and if you screw the chine log to the temporary frame and then cover the screwhead with the side planking, how can you remove the screw that attached the chine log to the temporary frame?

thanks, Steve

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Steve,

The chines and sheers are attached with finish nails, so once the boat is built and you flip it over, the nails can be pulled out with the form.

hideawayboats

Post by hideawayboats » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:07 am

When building the Sabotina did you use ring type nails or bronze screws to fasten planking?

hideawayboats

Post by hideawayboats » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:25 am

to billy c, where do I find the 'Sabotina Page' you mentioned in your text?

Thanks,
hideawayboats

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:01 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 pm

Yup 😀
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Human Power”