just finished 8 foot skiff

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

courtem

just finished 8 foot skiff

Post by courtem » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:09 pm

I am fairly new to wooden boat building. I built a 13 foot rowboat (Widget, from free plans). I did not glass the boat and the exterior plywood separated after the first season. The first boat was cheap to build and it was intended to be an education process for introduction to building boats. Since then I decided that marine plywood was too expensive for me to use on a very limited budget. I watched a skiff boat build online. It was "THE TOTAL BOAT WORK SKIFF BUILD". The builder was vey good and made the project understandable. I found "ULTRA SIMPLE BOATS" by McGraw hill and the POOR BOY skiff looked easy enough to give it another try. I based my boat on the PoorBoy with a few simple modifications. I build it with pine lumber and cut all of the material from framing lumber. The sides are planked with 2inch by 1/4 inch planks cut from 2x6 planks. The transom is from 1X6 pine fence stacks and the bottom is 1x6 tongue and groove paneling. The sheer is 16 inches. I glassed the entire outside from wale to wale with polyester resin and glass cloth from the home depot. The boat is water tight and easily carries two adults. I kept the interior natural wood and opted to use a mix of mineral oil and linseed oil to coat all interior surfaces. It seems to be a good little pond boat. My fear is that the planking may dry out and separate from the fiberglass. Is this a legitimate fear? So far it seems ok. Pictures attached
skiff.jpg
skiff 2.jpg

Ibrew2be

Re: just finished 8 foot skiff

Post by Ibrew2be » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

That's a neat looking boat you have there.

To respond to your question about the fiberglass separating from the wood, I hope that doesn't happen to you, but if that does, I would tend to think that it's more a function of the resin that you used, rather than the wood drying out. The reason epoxy resin is used and recommended for encapsulating and fiberglassing wooden boats is because epoxy forms a relatively strong chemical bond with the cellulose in wood. Polyester resin, on the other hand, only forms a mechanical bond with the wood and is therefore more susceptible to delamination. Once upon a time, polyester resin was used a lot for fiberglassing wooden boats. But the superior bonding of epoxy has led it to become the preferred resin.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched. Thinking hard about Boat 2.0

Return to “Human Power”