Sabotina chines and sheer clamp size and fasteners.

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

hideawayboats

Sabotina chines and sheer clamp size and fasteners.

Post by hideawayboats » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:02 pm

I'm building the form for the Sabotina row boat. The plans call for the chines and sheer clamps to be 5/8 " by 1" stock. This size pine board cannot be purchased at Home Depot. Did you have to have these milled or do real lumber yards carry this size pine? Also would you use ring nails or wood screw to fasten the planking? 5/8" pine doesn't seem wide enough to fasten the bottom planking with screws.

thanks,
Steve Wade

vupilot

Re: Sabotina chines and sheer clamp size and fasteners.

Post by vupilot » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:12 pm

You dont really want to use anything from Home Depot on a boat build unless you only want it to last a very short time. Look for hardwood lumber suppliers. Boulter Plywood in Medford would be a perfect place to go. Many here have mail ordered their lumber from them and youre lucky enough to have them in your home state. Yes, it costs more but its absolutely worth it. I found a similar place local to my area and they were happy to mill my chine, sheer and deck planks for only a couple extra dollars. You can get bronze fasteners right here from the Glen-L catalog. https://www.boatdesigns.com/Sabotina-Br ... fo/68-046/

Viripse

Re: Sabotina chines and sheer clamp size and fasteners.

Post by Viripse » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:54 am

Listing starting to build Sabotini, anyone have any advise?

It will be an ideal dingy for my 42ft Bertram.

Return to “Human Power”