RowMe

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

DeltaDawg

RowMe

Post by DeltaDawg »

Cut side planking from marine grade Douglas fir plywood. Cut transom and motor board from old Sea Knight frame kit. Stitch and glue kit and hatches arriving this week. I will enjoy the build and have a boat in time for river salmon this fall. Punched my favorite Sacramento and Mokelumne river fishing waypoint honey holes into new Garmin Striker 4. Got 2 deep cycle batteries charged and new 40# thrust MinnKota motor ready. I had to return the PortaBote to the manufacture, I was unable to register it with California DMV and BoatUS Geico Marine would not insure it, I got most of my money back but it was a tough lesson that is now happily behind me. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0572.JPG
IMG_0570.JPG

billy c

Re: RowMe

Post by billy c »

Leland- glad to see you still dabbling with the boating bug. That boat should be a really easy way to get into the tougher spots and get those trophy fish!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Trophy fish? I a hope so, thank you Billy.

I am continuing to take online Justinguitar lessons, I enjoy it. I haven't built anymore guitars but I have 2 Yamaha guitars that I like. On that $70 Grizzly kit I put together 10 years ago the bridge split, I am not going to repair it. It sits next to the fireplace and I dust it. :D

I am making good progress on the RowMe. I ordered 8 foot oars and Glen-L fiberglass kit this morning. The cost is coming in high but I enjoy the boat build and I will enjoy the boat when I am done. It will be nice to have something that fits in my garage with the truck so I can pack the boat and be already for the crack of down fish bite. Leland
Attachments
RowMeCost.JPG

billy c

Post by billy c »

The cost of building is pretty quickly forgiven so don't fret (ha) too much over it! All my custom building projects were the same way but you pay a little more for one off stuff.
Glad you are still playing guitar. You learned alot by building one! ... that should help you to setup the action of your Yamahas. I had a few Yamahas come in to be repaired and they seemed to have nice sound and playability!
Have fun with the RowMe!
Billy

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

I did learn a lot from building 2 Grizzly steel string guitar kits. Dowel and glue on necks are difficult to get straight without an expensive jig, bolt on neck is much easier. Sanding down the saddle and adjusting the truss rod to adjust string action shouldn't be dreaded. Thank you Billy for turning me onto StewMac I watch their tutorial videos, bought their good string cutters and sweet string gauges much easier than a steel rule.

Cutting pieces for RowMe out of the last 3/8" panel today and cutting Sea Knight frame kit salvaged mahogany into cleats. Buy epoxy resin/slow hardener, measuring and mix containers from Tap Plastic to supplement the Glen-L stitch and glue kit and buying a 13 foot African mahogany board at Home Depot for the sheers. Then I should have all my receipts to mail in with the Boat 101 registration and title application to California DMV. I learned DMV is incredibly slow and difficult during my attempts to register that PortaBote this spring that I had to send back to the manufacture. This way DMV can have a month or 2 with the paper work while I am working the build. This pandemic has slowed down DMV to a crawl and UPS is slow and very busy making deliveries. Leland

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Update

Marine Douglas fir plywood pieces all cut out for RowMe. I learned 20 years ago on my Wee Hunk build a saber saw, now called jig saw, splinters the hell out of fir plywood so I used a 7-1/4" carbide tipped circular saw, the curves are gentle enough to make the slow turns. I used my table saw with a 10" carbide tipped blade for the straight cuts. I see the Glen-L epoxy is a 5:1 ratio of resin to hardener, I like simple and TAP Marine epoxy is 2:1 so buying that today for upright cleats, side and bottom planking butt blocks. I also learned last time using my brad nailer to hold epoxy pieces is simple, quick and easy so I am buying some shorter 18 gauge brads while out today. Glen-L fiberglass kit and seat hatches arriving via UPS today. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0574.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

@Gayle Brantuk I know you have a new employee @John Brantuk since I last ordered a shipment with epoxy. This is just feedback so you know if you want to change training or procedures packing shipment. The stitch and glue kit that arrived tape on the box was not adhering to the cardboard maybe old tape I dunno. The hardner and resin are in the same bag and the hardner is leaking, a gallon of resin and hardner is big enough to start a fire maybe they should each have their own bag. The hardner that was leaking did not have a foil seal under the lid, the resin did have a foil seal. The shipping email display name was John Brantuk but the underlying email address is Darla. I do not know if the employees are decanting hardner from a larger container but you can see from the picture it leaked and the ink in the labels bled inside the bag. I like the 2:1 resin hardner mix like Tap Plastic Marine it is simpler, the 5:1 Glen-L makes measuring awkward. See attached photo, I angled so you could see the Tap price tags too.

It is fun to be building a boat again, thanks to your Dad for drawing the plans and setting up the business. Leland
Attachments
IMG3627.jpg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Previous post was from stitch and glue kit shipment this photo is from fiberglass covering kit shipment that arrived UPS last night you can see shipping tape not sticking and peeling away. This is feedback note from John with tracking info read Glen-L wanted me to write a review. Leland
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

I got nail ends cutoff at butt block planking joints and sanded. She fits my new Ironton trailer with extended Moose metal tongue perfect. Leland
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Paint and hardware arrived from Jamestown Distributors. Started stitching the panels. Bending 1/4" plywood is much easier than bending 3/8" was. I heard a crack in a port side butt block, I am going to clamp a temporary inner and outer sheer above those butt blocks before I stitch further and tighten stitches. I like her I think her name is Vessel Astera my boats and dogs follow the naming convention of Greek Mythology. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0584.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG

billy c

Post by billy c »

Looks good Leland. Tighten those stitches up and get some epoxy on her. The fish are biting!

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

All the stitches are in. I epoxy laminated 3/8" butt blocks over the 1/4" butt blocks and drove 48-1" screws from the planking into the butt blocks and have a much stronger joint now. I have lots of bronze screws left over from the Wee Hunk build and unused Sea Knight fastener kit. Glen-L in the plans was making the butt blocks come out of the 1/4" sheets in the plywood cutout, to weak with only 3 plies in Douglas Fir marine plywood. I bought mahogany for the sheers, going to have to scarf join to get the right lengths. Thinking about if I want the corner knees and breasthook notched as the plans call for, I think the joint would be stronger screwed and epoxied without the notches that is how I made the Wee Hunk dory. It is nice to have a boat under construction in the garage again, neighbors are in awe and all those old farts that went to the library to check out books then give me unsolicited advice are in heaven or hell being quiet for this build :) UPS is taking a long time to ship and deliver my oars from Amazon and Glen-L's back ordered epoxy. I do not know what is wrong with UPS I haven't seen their trucks all week. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0601.JPG

billy c

Post by billy c »

...a little duct tape and splash her :D

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

2nd oar showed up so I don't have to row in circles. It took some work getting those sticky labels off with the heat gun and Goof-off but they are clean now. I milled the breasthook and corner knees out of Mahogany lots of angle cuts. If cool enough in the morning I will epoxy marine plywood to the underside a sweet trick I use to keep the solid wood from splitting in a marine environment. I practiced scarf joints with my chop saw not sure that is what I am going to use but okay results with a 2x4 test pieces. The supply of longer pieces of African Mahogany is depleted due to the trade war, recession and pandemic so I will be scarf joining to get the 12+ foot long inner and outer sheers. I set up the laser level so I can cut my seat cleats for the transom and side planking, a laser makes boat building easier not a lot of right angles to use a square with on a boat. Leland
Attachments
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Ripped the Mahogany inner sheers and planed to 5/8" thick to make it easier to bend. Added another layer of 3/8" marine plywood to breasthook and transom knees for a little more strength and a little more thickness driving my screws into. 4-1/2 gallons of epoxy to mix up for epoxy putty fillets and fiber glassing may have to work graveyard shift and ice down epoxy so I have more time to work before it kicks. What do you think of my Captain's chair with the seat cushion? Leland
Attachments
IMG_0621.JPG

Return to “Human Power”