RowMe

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

DeltaDawg

Re: RowMe

Post by DeltaDawg »

Turned bow stop and fwd bunk roller out of Chinese elm will bend up brackets when boat right side up. Removed battens and wiped down hull. Heat, smoke, ash fallout temporarily subsided, plan to work garveyard shift to epoxy fiberglass tape bow, transom corners and encapsulate hull maybe bond coat for fiberglass cloth if goes well. I got my flu and a Tdap shot arm is sore and feeling tired as immune system does its thing. Leland
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Thank you to my Mother and Grandmother 60 years ago for showing me how to pull a thread to get a straight line that came in handy to split the fiberglass cloth down right down the center. I reinforced the transom seams and bow with biaxial cloth and got the epoxy seal coat rolled on. I got a headache and a bit nauseated from that wicked Glen-L PoxyShield hardner. I had to keep closing my garage door because 5 neighbors in a row were getting a mow and blow. I will wipe down with ammonia and water then do a little sanding tape my cloth down and be ready for bond coat the next cool morning immediately followed by fill and finish coats then I can put my battens back on and my outer sheers. This project is moving again. Leland
IMG_0711.JPG
IMG_0713.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Acetone wipe down, cloth trimmed and fitted, pee, coffee then epoxy bond coat and make those Bush beans disappear after 20 years in pantry toot toot :D
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Graveyard shift rocks :D
Attachments
image.jpeg

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Where did the cloth go?!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

I am using Tap plastic marine epoxy now and it is not giving me headaches and nausea. It also doesn't cure brittle. I have 3/4 gallon of GlenL poxysheild and hardener probably headed to household hasmat drop off. A few white blisters to sand another coat of epoxy to fill weave cure 7 days, paint 3 coats, cure another 7, flip paint inside, cure, chase Mokelumne salmon. Leland
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Last coat of epoxy on and curing for 7 days, 3 daily coats Off-white EZPoxy polyurethane paint 7 days curing, flip right side up and put my turned bunk rollers to work :D
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Due to the pandemic and trade war I could not get Mahogany in the quality and lengths I wanted so I had to scarf join the sheers in the back where the bend isn't so dramatic. I made a scarf jig for my chop saw and sharpened the blade. Leland
IMG_0727.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Made myself a drilling jig, lathered the hull, battens and sheers up with epoxy and drove 189 silica bronze screws before it kicked. Happy to have them finally on the hull. I may make the tail end of river salmon season and the Dungi opener first Sat in Nov. Leland
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0732.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Bottom battens and sheers are epoxy and screwed onto the hull, screw holes filled with epoxy fairing putty. I've been looking at this bottom for 2 months now, as I lay an 8' oar and tape on it the aft 4' seems to be flat but looks to be 3-1/2" rockered in 8'. Will it plane or porpoise when I bring all 6 horses up to gallop on this Suzuki I had bought for that Porta-Bote folding boat I sent back to the manufacturer because I couldn't register or insure it? I will know in a few weeks. All 3 of the rowboats and skiffs I have built have been flat bottom. I ordered the plans this weekend for the Power Skiff 14 which does not have a flat bottom. I like what Christoph Bangerter adding 4" of freeboard to his Power Skiff 14 so when the plans arrive I think I will pull out my drafting tools and modify the plans. I like Christoph's seat mods and his bright work. I have American Elm I slabbed with my Alaskan sawmill and it drying in the shed and might just work for the bright work. We will see how that project progresses. For today I need to sand and ammonia wipe the epoxy so I can put the 1st coat of Petite EZPoxy Hatteras White on Vessel Astera in the morning. Leland
IMG_0739.JPG
IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

I was walking my dogs to the park and Davey Tree guys were having a hell of a time putting this American Elm through the chipper it was squealing and smoking. In California elms pick up silica from the soil and it will dull any steel edge very fast. I brought them back a hand turned Chinese Elm mallet finished in boiled linseed oil and some cold drinks in exchange they dropped off the 14' trunk in my front yard. I slabbed the main trunk and butterflied the crotch into bowl blanks. The slabs have been sticker stacked, ratchet strapped and drying in the resaw shed for 1-1/2 years and probably have a while more to go but this is what I think I will use for the the Power Skiff 14 transom corner knees, breast hook, seats and maybe transom knee. I slabs out of the center are 3" thick, 14" wide and 7' long and they are beautiful quarter sawn. Leland
https://youtu.be/DAlzrgVsGPE
IMG_0723.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

1st coat of Petite EZPoxy Hatteras White.
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Mango jiggle top beans. 2c beans, 6c H2O, 3 cups dried mangos, 1/2# bacon, 25 min high pressure with natural release toot toot, stir in 2c rice, heat until steam comes out vent toot, let stand 25 min. Vacuum seal and freeze for Mokelumne River salmon fishing and Bodega Bay Dungi crabbing trips. Toot toot.
IMG_0743.JPG

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Sanded 220 grit, dry wipe dust, wet wipe real mineral spirits, rolled and tipped 2nd coat. It almost looks like a spray job. I think I like Pettit EZ Poxy better than Interlux Brightside or 2 part epoxy paint.
Attachments
image.jpeg

DeltaDawg

Post by DeltaDawg »

Vessel Astera axial rotation and soft touch down on the bunks :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Return to “Human Power”