rob roy, fixing an outboard.

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

china

rob roy, fixing an outboard.

Post by china »

hi, i am sending off for some rob roy canoe plan shortly.

i was wondering that if i reinforce the side of the canoe at the back if i could clamp on a 2 hp mariner outboard i have. it would have to be fixed sideways and the prop turned around to face the back.

i saw it done on a canadien television programe called northern lights some years ago.

just wondered what you thought. do you reakon i could go up to 3.5 hp in i reinforced the sides with another layer of ply and reinforced the seams at the tapered stern.

i am also thinking of adding a detachable outrigger so i can have a small work platform to help collect rubbish from the river.

any opinions appreciated.

cheers.
London. England.
Building to escape the city !

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager »

Many years ago, more than I like to admit to, I built a 2 seat Kayak from a Folbot design. It was 16.5 feet long, had about 32 inch beam at the middle. After I got tired of paddling, I mounted a crossbar just aft of the rear seat and hung a 2 HP Montgomery Wards outboard over the port side. Wasn't particularly fast, but it sure beat the paddle thing. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do something similar with the Rob Roy.

The key thing is to not get excited about the speed or power. A small hull just doesn't like too much power, and a sudden change of direction when you're moving fast will test your swimming ability. Go light and take it easy.
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

china

Post by china »

thanks brian, that has cheers me up lots.

i will strengthen the aft of the canoe and maybe all the way along with longitutional members too.

hopfully i can work out a good way to fix the outrigger with stretched net onto the kayak so that would give me more working space and help with stabillaty.

i am getting a dry suit and a crash helmet as there are plenty of passenger fast ferries on the thames and in winter it gets very cold.

i will keep it safe though, i am in training for my boatmaster licence and hope to have a ferry myself oneday.

cheers. 8)
London. England.
Building to escape the city !

Return to “Human Power”