Stitch and Glue

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

capsaicinrain

Stitch and Glue

Post by capsaicinrain »

I am not sure if this information is on the Glen-L website, but I have a few questions.

Regarding the stitch-and-glue kits, it says "everything needed is included. Does this include the wood? I would hope so because finding good wood would be difficult for some. Also, if it does come with the wood, is it pre-shaped? Because I do not know many people capable of steaming and bending wood if it isn't.

Thanks for any advice I can get.
When reading my posts please don't criticize, I am extremely new to this.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

stitch and glue kits do not include any wood. They contain the material to "stitch and glue" the boat together. "click" on whatever stitch and glue kit you are looking at, and you will see what is in that particular kit.

hlucus

Steam bending?

Post by hlucus »

Welcome to the web site. Don't worry about being a newbie. I built my first boat over 20 years ago, and I still think of myself as a beginner because every project is a learning experience. I seem to average about one "stupid" question a day. (Those are the questions where you have to smack yourself in the forehead after you figure out the answer. If you don't like smacking yourself in the forehead, don't even think about building a boat.)

When I read your post, I wanted to ask which boat you are planning to build and where you are located. The odds are good that there is someone on the site who lives near you and can give you some ideas about where to buy lumber.

As for steam bending - are you sure you are going to need to do that? Most of the stitch and glue plans I have seen use pretty simple construction techniques with simple bends that don't require steam. If you do find that steam bending is necessary, I would suggest getting a book on the subject. I've seen three or four books on the subject, but I think that "The Complete Manual of Wood Bending" by Lon Shleining is the pick of the litter.
Sooner begun Sooner done

capsaicinrain

Okay

Post by capsaicinrain »

thanks, I was going to build the sculling boat, and I live in Louisiana. I unfortunately have to put this project on hold because of school (i am 16 years old, but hey I know alot about carpentry).
So thanks for your reply, but again, I cant get started for a while now.

Cheers,

capsaicinrain
When reading my posts please don't criticize, I am extremely new to this.

hlucus

Time

Post by hlucus »

I'm sorry to hear that you can't start your project yet, but maybe I can encourage you to rethink your decision. I'm on the other end of the scale (63 years old) and school is just sort of a vague memory at this point, but I can tell you with assurance that life will just keep getting busier after you graduate. You will never have more time than you have now.

As far as boatbuilding goes, it isn't ever a big project. It's just a lot of little projects stuck together. You can go as slow or as fast as time allows. The same goes for the costs. You don't have to pay for everything at once. Just buy what you need for the next little project and finish that before you buy some more. One day, you will walk up to the boat and realize that there is nothing left to do and you have to put the darn thing into the water.

If you have to room to build and the interest to do the project, why not get started? Where I live (Washington state), students have to complete a senior project to graduate and a boatbuilding project would probably qualify. One local girl just built a demolition derby car and raced it for her project. Is there anything like that in your school?

Whatever you decide - best wishes.
Sooner begun Sooner done

china

Re: Stitch and Glue

Post by china »

hlucus, what a wonderfull post, i just had to reply to it afer reading it, as you realy touched a lot regarding the philosophy of how to build a boat.

i liked the sentance of where you said it aint like one big job building a boat just lost of little jobs. that realy gives me encouragment to perform a build.

it realy is a great philosophy, from reading your posts i reguard you as a very good boat counciler. you give out realy good boat building therapy and i salute you.

cheers and all the best.
London. England.
Building to escape the city !

upspirate

Re: Stitch and Glue

Post by upspirate »

One of my friends at work has a son that built a stitch and glue 10' sailboat as a senior project.

I was considered his "mentor" and printed lots of info off this site & from my epoxy manuals to help him along.

He got an "A-" on the project instead of an "A" only because he didn't wear a suit when he presented the project(what a bunch of dumba-s's in the faculty at that school in my opinion!!)

Return to “Human Power”