**Started** Sea Kayak Two in 1.5 weeks **Started**

Canoes, Kayaks, Pedal power

Moderator: BruceDow

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Yeah, I used Pre-Kote and Brightside...

I let it dry for over 16 hours, sanded, wiped down with brushing liquid and then overcoated as directed.

The only thing I can think of is that the wipe down with 333 might have done something to liquify some of the thicker areas of primer again, and maybe I was painting the blue over some wet primer.

At least it dried hard, and I can sand and try another coat of brightside this weekend if they temperature stays up.

On another note, I got an air compressor for christmas, and I thought about spraying instead of rolling but I didn't want to deal with the chemicals in the air since my Garage is basically attached to my bedroom and I don't have a full face respirator, only the twin cartridge type.

That, and my garage barely fits that kayak diagonally, so it would be pretty hard to spray.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Have you thought about the HVLP sprayers? I've never used them,but I think they have less overspray & "stuff" floating in the air.

Northern tool has a 3 sprayer set that sells for about $100 that gets great reviews

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Yeah, I saw a few at Harbor Freight, which I think is basically the same as Northern, but I am always concerned with their quality.

EDIT: Just checked northern, and their quality appears to be much better...

It just seems like more mess, more expense, and more cleanup, but Maybe I'll give it a try. I have a harbor freight right down the street...

I was going to try this model: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=94572

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

I looked a couple of weeks ago....was thinking of using for painting french doors with little glass pains(misspelling on purpose!!).Decided on just brushing...still have one coat to go!!! :wink:

The Harbor Freight here didn't have any in stock,& I liked the reviews from Northern Tool.

If you buy these,let us know how they work.

Warren

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater »

boat-bill-der,

I bought that HVLP set from Harbor Freight. So far, I have painted 3 boats with it.

After years of painting cars and Harley's (as a hobby) with conventional sprayers, it did take some familiarization.

What I found is that those HVLP guns are more sensitive to pressure variations and the paint being thinned properly than a conventional sprayer. I don't know if all HVLP sprayers or this way, or just the Harbor Freight sprayers. It is not difficult to master - just takes patience and practice.

I did find the quality to be very good - certainly not as good as some of the professional guns I've owned. But still, that particular set is pretty good - especially for the price.

It is worth the effort to master it just to avoid having everything in my shop covered with a fine mist of the lastest paint job.

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

KB,Thanks for the review.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

I bought the Harbor Freight gun, but still haven't used it to paint... I messed around with it to get it tuned up, and my garage and house was so full of fumes I decided not to use it (I have a gas Dryer with a pilot light in the garage too)

I painted this all with Roll and Tip, and the second coat came out much better. I still think I need a third coat, but since everything on the sides looks good I figured I'd leave it since the bottom will likely get scratched anyway.

So, here's where I am. The coaming is on, but I still need to do some shaping. I need to paint the strip on the sheer which will cover about 2 inches on the sides, wrap the sheer and continue 2 inches on the top deck. Then I need to varnish the deck and the bright strip that will be left on the sides.

So, my little 1.5 week project continues... :oops:

BulldogBoater

Post by BulldogBoater »

Nice progress! I have enjoyed following your build as I have the plans already and planned on having one finished by now.

But alas, I am 9 months into my 6 month project (squirt) with 3 more months to go.

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Funny how that happens :roll:

My new plan is to finish the kayak before March 15th, and when the weather warms up a little bit and it's light out earlier in the morning I am going to try to kayak from Berkeley to the Embarcadero in San Francisco one morning to work (when I dont have alot of meetings)

I have also already built my next boat, a Bo-Jest, in my head about 7 times over, and my wife has put me on a strict limit: I am only allowed to say the word boat 3 times a day. That one might have to wait a little while.

gregggrundon

Boat, Boat, Boat, Boat!

Post by gregggrundon »

Bill,
How goes it? I haven't been keeping up with the forum lately. I just tonight read through this entire post. Great work, another fine boat you've built!
Where's your other boat? How did those repairs work out for you?
Thanks again for letting us come and visit, last summer, I wish my wife came along, to see I'm not the only boat crazy on the planet.
I'm still working on the "Rosekey G." Still awaiting funds to finally get her wet. It should happen in thee next few months.
I sprayed all my exterior paint on a few slow wind days, outside. With the exception of a few flying bugs, it's come out better than I'd expected. You might give it a try, outside the garage.
She's looking great! Keep up the good work.
Aloha,
Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Thanks Gregg... I have been slacking on the forum over here too.

I have had to do some repairs to my jeep, and my job has really been keeping me on my toes, and is a much longer commute. Can't afford to fall behind in this economy.

Both boats actually fit in my garage, but it's like tetris... I am scared to leave either boat outside b/c even though they are encapsulated pretty good, we get huge temp swings from like 35* night - 65* daytime and the condensation is wicked. I am scared it might seep in and screw up my joints or finish.

I'll have to post a picture of what it looks like right now, it's very tight and I need to roll projects out of the way to work in there.

Spraying in the backyard sounds like a good idea, maybe I can set up some temporary structures with tarps and stuff to keep the dirt and bugs off.

How much do you have left to do on RosekyG? Have you posted any recent pics or build notes on the forum?

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Well, here's an update:

I'm painted and ready to varnish the bright areas. The sides are glassed, but the top is only encapsulated.

I think I had a bad epoxy mix ratio when I encapsulated the coaming, so I have to figure that out, then varnish the bright part of the sides and deck.

BTW - The Harbor freight gun worked great, but I laid it on a bit heavy... For my first spray, I was very happy with it and it looked much better than the rolled on bottom paint.

If it ever stops raining on the weekends out here, I'll get some full length shots:

Oh yeah, and the inside looks funny, but the lines are just from the dusy that my vacuum couldn't pick up. I need to clean that out too.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Bill

Nice job!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

boat-bill-der

Post by boat-bill-der »

Couple more from today:

boat-bill-der

Re: **Started** Sea Kayak Two in 1.5 weeks **Started**

Post by boat-bill-der »

I tried to take the 'yak out today, but I couldn't get it on top of my car... :lol:

Long story short, I ended up balancing the 80lb kayak on my head and I made it over to the front yard without breaking anything, and had to kneal down and end up lying on the front yard with the entire weight of the boat on my back :oops:

"Noelani" (Flying Saucer) was in the driveway and my wifes friend who just got back from a year in london was tanning in Noelani (on the trailer) and just sat laughing at the comedy before her.

Needless to say, I just completed my order for the Glen-L kayak/canoe trailer plans, and got myself another project. I hope I can find someone local with a welder that is willing to share...

Return to “Human Power”