Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-Tennessee River

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

curtgard

Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-Tennessee River

Postby curtgard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:45 pm

I arrived at the 11th annual Gathering on Thursday and took a covered slip for the evenings and then moved the boat to the long dock near the cabins during the days. While most of the attendees made the river run to Chattanooga on Friday, I was invited to tour the railroad caboose that is located across the river from the marina. Being a railroad hobbyist, I jumped at the offer but in the haste, I forgot to take my camera. There are actually two cabooses that are sitting end to end with a 10' enclosed structure between them that is used as a living room. One caboose is remodeled into a kitchen/dining area with the other caboose a bedroom and bath. They were very nice and livable. The gentlemen lives in Atlanta and this is his man cave where he spends several days each week.

On Saturday, Marty Kansky and his wife came to visit and tour Ray's and my True Grit boats. Marty is also building a True Grit boat so there may be THREE True Grit boats at next years Gathering. Marty drove my boat and was impressed with how the boat handled.
IMG_0548.JPG
Theresa Kansky at the helm on Ray's True Grit

With Marty driving my boat, I am able to take pictures of trains along the Tennessee River down river from Hales Bar.
IMG_0549.JPG
CSX Railroad mainline between Nashville and Atlanta

Con't

curtgard

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-Tennessee River

Postby curtgard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:20 pm

On Sunday, Ray and his wife and I headed upstream to Chattanooga. The river goes through high mountains on each side with nice houses built in the hills and on the mountain ridges. Part way to Chattanooga, the depth finder shows the river nearly 140 feet deep in the channel. This is near an area called "Raccoon Mountain". This is a TVA project where water is pumped to the top of the mountain. The system works like a large storage battery. During periods of low power demand, water is pumped from Nickajack Reservoir at the base of the mountain, to the reservoir at the top. It takes 28 hours to fill the upper reservoir that holds 107 billion gallons of water. When power demand is high, water is released via a tunnel drilled through the center of the mountain to drive generators in the mountains underground power plant. The power plant produces 1652 megawatts of power.

When we reached Chattanooga, we docked at the Northern most docks in the downtown area. This was near the pedestrian bridge over the river.
IMG_0580.JPG
Pedestrian bridge across river

IMG_0584.JPG
Docked in downtown Chattanooga

Downtown Chattanooga is an amazing place. There is a freshwater aquarium building and a saltwater aquarium building, art museums, and dozens of restaurants. We ate at Sticky Fingers Ribhouse where I had a barbeque pulled pork dinner, which was very good. There are walking trails along the river downtown with one that crosses over a roadway on a glass bottom bridge going to the art museum.
IMG_0590.JPG
Glass walkway bridge

Next year, I plan to spend more than one night at the Chattanooga dock to take in more sites and sample more of the restaurants. On Monday, Ray and I headed back downstream past Hales Bar and docked at the free dock near Nickajack Lock. We had planned on loading the boats at the ramp near those docks but decided the ramp at Hales Bar would work better. Another fun cruise with Ray and his wife comes to an end and I hit the road for home 825 miles away.

Curt

BayouBengal

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-Tennessee River

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:27 am

Enjoyed meeting you, Curt, and seeing your beautiful boat.

She's a beauty, but sure glad that I'm not the one that has to tow her on the highway.

Return to “Miscellaneous”