Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BayouBengal

Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 am

Butch Barto and myself will both be at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival this weekend. We look forward to meeting and talking with anyone on the forum that comes out. Butch's boat is named "Innocence" and my boat is named "Pretty Girl Too".

NAMEngJS

Re: Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival

Postby NAMEngJS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:42 am

I know that I will be there walking around with the family on Saturday for most of the day as well. Looking forward to what should be a great show as always.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:39 am

Look forward to talking with you. We'd actually met last year over at Butch's boat, but I didn't realize that you were on the forum. You're building a Barrelback, right?

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:48 am

Well "building" would imply i have started... ehh not so much. I am building a barrelback but I am in the process of some modifications that I am working through, along with budgeting some money to purchase lumber. All I can say is daycare does a number on my bank account.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:18 am

A HUGE congratulations to Glen-L Boatbuilder Butch Barto. Butch won both 1st place in the Runabout division and "Best in Show" here at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. Awards well deserved as the beautiful work Butch did on his Tahoe continues to impress.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:14 am

Congratulations Butch :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:58 am

Well done! Congratulations.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Wow! Congratulations Butch. Definitely well deserved...

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Hey Jeff, how about some pics from the show?

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 am

This is Great. But, I wonder what the Judges would do if all of our award winners showed up at one show? I think sensory overload!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:12 pm

I must admit, I didn't take many pictures. I was guess I was too busy giving people rides.
This is Great. But, I wonder what the Judges would do if all of our award winners showed up at one show? I think sensory overload!

A few things about the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival. Because it's not an ACBS event, the judges aren't so stuffy about restored originals as they are in an ACBS show. So, if all the Glen-L award winners showed up here, they would be truly celebrated and admired as opposed to being treated as the red-headed stepchild. For the record, I've always been treated very well at the few ACBS events I've been to, but I've heard this is not always the case with some ACBS chapters. In any event, your boats will be judged fairly here, so come one come all next year, you'll have a great time and maybe Glen-L can sweep the awards.

While Madisonville is not an ACBS event, Dan Gyoerkoe, the new Executive Director of ACBS came to the festival. Here's Dan's blog post regarding the festival along with some pictures - https://www.acbs.org/madisonville-2017-wooden-boat-festival/. I enjoyed Dan's company and visited with him for quite some time and used the opportunity to give him my input directly regarding the ACBS with that input being primarily that the ACBS needs to have a class of restored originals with the owners providing proof that the boat is at least 50% original. Other than that, the newly built boats should be judged in the same class with similar models without penalty, and I used the Madisonville judging as an example because I think Madisonville gets it right. In runabouts, Butch's boat won first and rightfully so. The boat that got second (and very deserving of second) was a 1966 Chris Craft Super Sport. The boat was rare, unique, and beautiful. I talked with the owner quite a bit and he told me the boat was sent out of state and all professionally done; all he did was decide to buy the boat and then write the check and there's nothing wrong with that. But he also showed me pictures of the restoration and essentially, about the only thing saved on the boat was the engine. All the original planking was gone and what was left of the frames had to be shored up by butting new wood to them. He's had the boat for about a year and only had it in the water three times and probably won't use it again. He stated that the boat porpoises quite a bit at speeds approaching 40 mph. Of course, Butch uses his boat all the time, it ain't just a show-pony, and it rides great.

Now, if this was your typical ACBS show, the 1966 Chris Craft Super Sport would have been judged first, other so-called "restored originals" would have followed. Butch may have received some minor class award, or maybe just a participation letter and thank you for showing up. Once again, I think the judges at Madisonville got it right, and Mr. Gyoerkoe agreed. However, it seems his job and authority is somewhat limited to being the business manager at ACBS so I doubt our discussion and agreement actually means anything in the ways of the ACBS.

I will share one picture from Madisonville. I finally put the name on my boat. It's named after my wife as my petname for her is "Pretty Girl". Here's a picture of the boat with the "Pretty Girl" and myself in it.

PG and Me at Madisonville.jpg

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:47 am

Beautiful, pretty girls... nice job Jeff...

JeremyM

Postby JeremyM » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:01 am

BayouBengal wrote:Butch Barto and myself will both be at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival this weekend. We look forward to meeting and talking with anyone on the forum that comes out. Butch's boat is named "Innocence" and my boat is named "Pretty Girl Too".

I'm so sorry that I came to know about this forum so late (a friend referred me.) I WAS at the Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival and I would have been fortunate to meet you guys, had I known you then. I hope to meet you guys at some other boat festival.

Return to “Miscellaneous”