Need help on a trailer.

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jimbob

Need help on a trailer.

Post by Jimbob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:55 am

Not sure what to do on this one.
I am ready to get a trailer, but the company that used to build them in Sacramento is now out of business. The motor is not installed in the boat yet.
I think maybe it would be better to get the trailer before installing the motor.

Here are my options as I see them:

Find a used trailer and modify it to work with my boat. (I am concerned about the prop and rudder clearance and proper support)

Have a trailer built in the L.A. or Reno area and have it transported or pick it up. ( a 200 to 400 ) mile trip each way. I would get adjustable bunks so I could adjust upon receipt of the trailer. I was told by Sierra Boat Co. that most custom trailer builders need to have the boat for the correct fit with a wooden boat.

Use the Glen-L plans and have a trailer fabricated locally. (I'm leaning towards this one. At least I will know that the trailer is designed for the boat.)

In any case, I want adjustable bunks for fine tuning.

Your ideas will be appreciated.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Re: Need help on a trailer.

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:48 am

Do you have your engine yet?
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Jim

I bought a "standard" trailer. But, I had them set the bunks to my requirements. I calculated the cg for trailering. The cg goes 10% forward of the axles. This puts 10% on the tongue. You may have to have them move the rear bunks back to support the stern. I had to set the bunk to extend to 4 feet behind the trailer. Tows great!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Was that DHM trailers?
That is who built the trailer I have. Too bad they did a good job.
You might checkout http://www.sbtrailers.com they are in Patterson Ca,

Rich

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Thanks Rich,
I have heard that California Trailer Works bought out DHM trailers and now they are both out of business. They are the ones I was planning to use.
I will check out SB Trailers in Patterson tomorrow. Do you know anything about VM Custom Boat Trailers in Fresno?
Thanks again,
Jim
Jim Neeley

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:38 pm

No sorry don’t know anything about VM. I don’t know anything about SB trailers either, just that they are not too far away.

Rich

TAB

Post by TAB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Is marves on Folsom Blvd still open? They are just east of sunrise. They do really good work.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:39 am

Re: Marv's. He was recommended by Mastercraft in Sacramento. He is still in business, but doesn't build trailers.
Jim
Jim Neeley

TAB

Post by TAB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Jimbob wrote:Re: Marv's. He was recommended by Mastercraft in Sacramento. He is still in business, but doesn't build trailers.
Jim
He used to. There is also a place in Citrus Heights not too far from Sylvan corners. I don't know if they're still open but I had them build me a me a couple of specialized trailers, granted that was 15 years ago. Seems like all the Boating places in Sacramento are going under. I don't miss it one bit been gone almost 4 years I can't tell you how much better life is

TAB

Post by TAB » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Jimbob wrote:Re: Marv's. He was recommended by Mastercraft in Sacramento. He is still in business, but doesn't build trailers.
Jim
He used to. There is also a place in Citrus Heights not too far from Sylvan corners. I don't know if they're still open but I had them build me a me a couple of specialized trailers, granted that was 15 years ago. Seems like all the Boating places in Sacramento are going under. I don't miss it one bit been gone almost 4 years I can't tell you how much better life is

Return to “Miscellaneous”