Build a Gantry?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jimbob

Build a Gantry?

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 am

I am thinking about building a gantry to help lift my boat off of my dolly and onto my trailer (I would also use jacks). I would use the same gantry to install the motor. I would raise the motor and then move the boat underneath the motor and then lower the motor into the boat. The motor lifts I have seen don't seem like they have the height that I would need. If I proceed, I am not sure how thick the 12' beam on the gantry should be. I am thinking about making a glue beam out of six 2"x4"x12' boards which would yield about 9". Think that is thick enough? The motor and transmission is about 1,000 pounds.
What do you all think? Dumb idea?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

hoodman

Re: Build a Gantry?

Postby hoodman » Fri May 04, 2018 8:25 am

I guess you want to glue the 2x4s because you've already got them? If not I would get a couple of 2x8s or 2x10s and glue those together.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 am

I had another thought, you could edge glue two sets of two or three 2x4s then face glue those two together. Probably any way you do it would be strong enough for 1000 lbs.

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri May 04, 2018 9:03 am

no need, just buy some 2x4 brace your trusses(floor too hornz member) and lift it with a strap. done it many times with boats of all sizes.

I will actually be back in sacramento next week. I will be more then happy too swing by and show you.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks guys.
Matt, Good idea. I guess I thought it would be stronger gluing up 2x4's after seeing glue beams in houses being built.
Tab, I don't have room in my garage, so I will have do on my driveway apron. The main thing I am attempting to do is lift the motor.
I won't have my trailer for another 3-4 weeks so I do have some time to decide what to do.
Jim
Jim Neeley

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

If your garage has an 8-foot ceiling like mine there's no way you're hoisting an engine over the sheer and into the boat inside.

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri May 04, 2018 10:04 am

Why not rent one of the tow behind engine hoists. They go really high(used them for long shaft outboards) and are like $25 for the day. Used them too flip boats too.

Green back rentals always had them 916 9893000. Fun my not lived there for years, but I still remember their number

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 04, 2018 10:40 am

I checked out the tow behind lift at Aba Daba Rents they said they go to 6'. I don't think that's high enough when you consider the height of the engine and the height of the hull on the trailer. Remember their number?
Jim
Jim Neeley

Brad Tucker

Postby Brad Tucker » Fri May 04, 2018 11:19 am

If you plan to use a chain hoist on a gantry, factor that in. Granted my Tahoe23 was a little high on the cradle, but I built 2 out of 4x4's and I braced them. With the chain hoist and a 10' ceiling, it took every bit of that height. I'm not going to recommend a 4x4 cross beam. 4x6 probably. Or doubled up 2x6 with bracing.

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri May 04, 2018 11:56 am

Great topic, I’m designing my gantry too for the flip and engine mount. My engine hoist won’t do the job, too high and too far of a reach and I want the precision of a chain hoist to set the engine.
Making the whole thing out of 2x6’s, double them up for the heavy lifting part. Doubled up 2x6’s spanning 8ft with a 1000 lbs in the middle is ok with me. Whole thing is on big boy casters too.
My Home owners assoc police will loose their minds if I leave a homemade gantry in the drive for any length of time. So, it’s gotta go up and down quick.
Matt B

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri May 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Jimbob wrote:I checked out the tow behind lift at Aba Daba Rents they said they go to 6'. I don't think that's high enough when you consider the height of the engine and the height of the hull on the trailer. Remember their number?
Jim

No, I hated them, they had old gear that was warn out. Blue line on elder creek also has hand crank fork lifts that are rated at I want too say 800#.

Let me call my friend kenny and see if he still has the one we made to get the motors out of his howard.. We got sick of having too pull the blowers too pull the motors with a standard lift, so we built a rolling gantry. it bolts together and will basicly cost beer too use it.

If it was on the trailer I would give you a few numbers too call and have them lift it with the fork lift.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri May 04, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks everyone for your quick responses!
TAB, thanks for your kind offers.
I think I will build my own. Harbor Freight has a rolling gantry for around $700 but it only spans about 8'. I figure that the distance between the fenders on the trailer is about 8 1/2 feet. I am going with a 12' beam so that I can maneuver the trailer and boat under it without accidentally knocking the whole darn thing over. I figure I can build it cheap and to my own dimensions.
Jim
Jim Neeley

TAB

Postby TAB » Fri May 04, 2018 3:05 pm

I talked to my friend Kenny. He said if you want it come get it it's yours.

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Fri May 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Here's some inspiration if you decide to build a gantry ...

We designed and built a portable gantry to move the boat from its cradle to the trailer. The 6" wide x 12' long I-beam is supported by jackposts which adjust from 7' to 9' in height. The 3" C-channel base is supported by 8" steel casters. It can be used inside the shop or easily transported to the job site.

This sling is used to raise the boat from the engine stringers.

Here's the gantry pulling Bruce Dow's Monaco drivetrain after the 2007 Gathering. Bruce is so happy that someone
    is going to rebuild his engine and transmission ! :P A lot of good memories !! ...

Here's a link to more details.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:58 pm

I am now coming to the realization that I should pull the boat off the trailer so I can work on the trailer and paint the bottom of the boat as well.

Jim - Did you end up building one? What method did you use? Will you be lifting the boat from a sling or lifting eyes?

I saw how Speedracer did his lift here but I'm worried it will crush my fiberglass boat from the sides.

I have a Harbor Freight gantry (see picture) that worked great for the motor, I got it for $100 at of of the sidewalk sales. I was thinking of building a wooden gantry for the other end of the boat or maybe an engine host would work to lift the aft of the boat, thoughts?
Attachments
gantry.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Miscellaneous”