Build a Gantry?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

hoodman

Re: Build a Gantry?

Post by hoodman » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:24 pm

An abundance of caution would be advised if you're going to lay under it to paint.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes of course - I am looking at buying some Brownell boat stands as well; it would not be on the gantry when maint is being performed:

Here is a video of getting it off the trailer with no gantry but the gantry seems like a better idea if possible.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Attachments
sling.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Attachments
lift.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:22 pm

This looks pretty reasonable: http://www.gohoist.com/

$1475 for a set of 2, might meet your width requirements Jim

Width of hoist at base: 11.5'
Lets you easily pull through any boat trailer that is 10' wide.

Free shipping and $350 off till June 25th.
$1475 total.

Looks like they have some vids of happy customers on the FB page, they are even doing flips with it.

https://www.facebook.com/GoHoistcom-1271665859522056/
Attachments
gohoist.jpg
gohoist.jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:05 pm

I could not justify the cost of the setup mentioned above so I rigged up my Harbor Freight gantry with two Chain hoists with chain fed into some existing holes up top (that needed to be slightly enlarged to fit the large chain through). The reason for this setup is that I didn't want to turn my boat into a Taco from a large side load if I only had a center lifting point. I think the 1 ton hoists were like $35 after the 20% discount (bought on two different days to maximize savings) and I am very happy with them.
Attachments
gantry front.jpg
prelift.jpg
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Folgore

Post by Folgore » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:37 am

Speaking of boat gantries, how would you guys design a small building specifically tailored to contain a gantry?

The fact is, I haven't built boats in 15 years since back then I got a job in a big city, got myself an apartment there, and could only care for the two boats I assembled ages ago that are now at my parents' house. Now, I'm planning to buy a house in Greece for the holidays and for when I can work from home ; and since the sea is close, that my kids and I love fishing and that as an EU citizen, I can get a boat license there, I had the idea to build a boat there with my children.

However, the house's garage will be occupied by my car, so I'll have to use something else to build said boat. And when you're looking at the house I'm planning to get, you'll notice that there isn't any other building to install the gantry in. So, since I'm no stranger to building sheds or that kind of things, the idea came naturally ; I'll just build a boat-building shed.

So far, when thinking about it, I thought that this shed should :
-Be close enough to the road leading to the house, so that I can bring my car and trailer there and load the finished boat on it.
-Be well lit
-Have air conditioning (it gets hot in the summer there! Plus, it will help curing epoxy, glue etc at the right speed)
-Be wide and high enough so that I can build a boat AND have 1 meter/3ft to walk around it and work on it, plus some extra space for tools. Raw materials may be stored separated from the ground and under a tarp outside, depending on what it is.
-Be fitted with an electrical circuit allowing a relatively high consumption, because of the lightning + power tools + AC combo.

Do you think that it is realistic? I can spend up to 6 weeks in one go there, up to three times a year, so it won't last for 12 years if I can just work 3 days a year on the shed and on the boat.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:54 pm

Another idea on this,

My plan was to put the boat on the trailer first before the engine is in the boat. With several guys we rolled the hull off the building form with the aid of some roll assist framework attached to the hull. Once the hull was on the ground and upright, I doubled up some 10 ft 2 x 4's and mounted them across the bow for some hand holds. We had 4 guys lift the front of the hull as high as they could with the transom still resting on the ground. Another couple guys lifted the tongue of the trailer up high so the back of the trailer dropped down to ground level. Then we shoved the trailer backward under the front of the boat as far back as we could. When the guys let the bow down it was far enough forward on the trailer that the mid point of the hull was just past the end of the trailer and the boat teeter tottered onto the trailer as it's center of gravity was past the end of the trailer. After that we pushed the boat forward on the trailer. It slid on the carpeting that covers the trailer bunks quite easily.

Boat is mid engine. Once ready to install the engine, I was going to mount the engine with attached transmission on to the engine beds as a sub-assembly before lifting this into the boat. The engine beds will be long enough so they start from ahead of the front of the engine and extend past the end of the transmission. I am planning to mount some temporary cross bracing at the front and at the end of the motor beds to allow the motor to rest temporarily on top of the motor stringers. The next part of the plan would be jacking up the front of the trailer until back of the trailer and the boat transom are basically sitting on the ground. Then lift the engine, transmission, motor bed, sub assembly with a standard "cherry picker" style automotive engine hoist into the stern of the hull and onto the motor stringers. Next a small "come along" winch mounted at the far end of the motor stringers would be used to pull sub-assembly along the top of the motor stringers to the installation location. The thought is that this type of hoist does not go high enough, or have the reach, to put the engine directly to the installation point at the center of the hull, so this is the work around.

Plan "B", or maybe should be plan "A" :roll: , is to take the boat on the trailer and the engine sub assembly separately to a location where there is a larger crane available. Then install the engine there before bringing the boat on the trailer back home. I figure this would be cheaper then bringing the crane to the boat.

Just at the planning stages as this is at least a year off for me.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Cyclone wrote:Next a small "come along" winch mounted at the far end of the motor stringers would be used to pull sub-assembly along the top of the motor stringers to the installation location.
That sounds like a bad idea to me. You want to be able to position it where you want it not drag it around the boat Eak! The gantry was really not that expensive and is well worth it IMO.

What sort of motor mounts do you have? Mine were a pain because I needed to lift the motor to adjust it. if you have adjustable mounts then your option B is reasonable since you can adjust the position of the motor to align with the shaft after you leave the crane.

Folgore wrote:Do you think that it is realistic? I can spend up to 6 weeks in one go there, up to three times a year, so it won't last for 12 years if I can just work 3 days a year on the shed and on the boat.
I am not following your math there...But for sure, build a boat shed and build a boat!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

Return to “Miscellaneous”