Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

mkkknox

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Post by mkkknox » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Curt - It's exciting to read about your travels! Glad to hear you are making it through the locks.

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:57 pm

:D good to her about your adventure.If you portage around a tough spot,do you still qualify for the yellow flag when you"cross your wake"?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:24 am

Hi Curt,
Great adventure you’re on! Question about your boat: how tall is it on the trailer? Will it clear a 12’ door?
Thanks,
Matt B

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:25 am

On the trailer, I am at 11'9". The tallest part is my TV antenna so if that was not there, I would be about 6" less. On the water with the VHF antenna down, I'm at 8'10".

I don't want to portage around any areas as that would not technically be completing the loop but I have that option in my back pocket if need be.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:44 am

I have to assume Murphy's law here,
If you drove up to get your trailer, to make a portage, the good weather would come in while you are driving your truck !!! :roll: :shock: :wink:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:44 pm

We left the Paducah city docks early on October 1st with 8 other looper boats heading off the Ohio River and up the Tennessee River to the Kentucky Dam lock. This route is generally not used by looper boats because of long delays at the lock as this is the primary route for all the tows but we had no choice since Barley lock was closed. The normal route for loopers to take involves going up the Cumberland River and through Barkley lock and then taking the canal that connects the two lakes. This route is longer but quicker because of normally shorter waits at Barkley lock. The lockmaster at Kentucky dam lock had instructed the group of looper boats to be at the lock at 11 AM and she would get everyone through with minimum wait. Well after waiting over three hours, we finally got into the lock. Life on the rivers with locks moves slow. But on the way to the lock, we met the cruise boat "Mississippi Queen" headed down river to a stop at Paducah for its passengers to explore the town.
IMG_5680.JPG
Mississippi Queen
We were lifted up 55 feet at the Kentucky dam lock.
IMG_5683.JPG
Kentucky dam lock front gates
IMG_5684.JPG
other boats with us in lock
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm

After we got through Kentucky dam lock, we went through the canal over to Barkley Lake and the Cumberland River and headed upstream to Kuttawa marina where we met Ray Macke with his "True Grit" boat. Ray and Vickie would then cruise with us for a day where we ended up at Paris Landing State Park marina. It was fun buddy boating with them and staying up half the night talking. The next day they headed back down the lake as we headed on up the lake to our next stop at Pebble Isle marina.
IMG_5690.JPG
Ray and Vickie leaving us
On the way, we passed the old Danville elevator that was flooded when the gates on Kentucky Dam were closed in 1944.
IMG_5693.JPG
flooded elevator
We decided to stay two nights at Pebble Isle marina to do sightseeing and laundry. In the morning, the marina delivered fresh hot baked cinnamon rolls to each traveling boat. WOW, were they ever good. We also toured Johnsonville State Historic Park and museum with the marina courtesy car. This was a civil war battle ground that the South won late in the war that destroyed millions in Union supplies.
IMG_5694.JPG
display in museum
con't

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:29 pm

The civil war town of Johnsonville was along the Tennessee River where union steamboats would unload supplies that were then transferred to the railroad going to Nashville and points South.
IMG_5699.JPG
Johnsonville civil war site
Continuing on South, we stop at Clifton, TN and then pass through Pickwick lock. With heavy rain and storms forecast, we pull into the covered docks at JP Coleman state park marina. Just before the marina, we take a short side trip to a waterfall where kids were swinging on ropes into to water.
IMG_5702.JPG
yellow creek waterfall
Curt

PS, I am sure most people know that if you click on the pictures, they will come up larger.

kens

Post by kens » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Wow!
If you are through Pickwick, then you are at the top of the Tenn-Tom, correct?
Your making good time.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

Yes, we are at the top of the Tenn-Tom, but we are going to go on up the Tennessee River to Joe Wheeler state Park Marina for a gathering of Great Loop boats next week. There will be seminars on what to see and expect in Florida, the Bahamas, and going up the ICW on the East coast. The seminars will last for 4 days so it will be about two weeks before we start down the Tenn-Tom. Also don't want to get too far South in case a hurricane decides to hit the gulf region.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Oh wow. One of those locks is the BIG lift, a 100foot lift lock.
Wilson or, Wheeler?
We want pics of that.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Curt

I'm going to Gulf Shores this weekend. But, I can be down again about that time. Let me know.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:42 pm

curtgard wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm
Yes, we are at the top of the Tenn-Tom, but we are going to go on up the Tennessee River to Joe Wheeler state Park Marina for a gathering of Great Loop boats next week. There will be seminars on what to see and expect in Florida, the Bahamas, and going up the ICW on the East coast. The seminars will last for 4 days so it will be about two weeks before we start down the Tenn-Tom. Also don't want to get too far South in case a hurricane decides to hit the gulf region.

Curt
Can you tell me the exact date? I have heard of this event but did not find it online. We have friends headed down the Tenn-Tom from Tenn beginning thurs on their custom 43'footer too.

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 am

Curt I don't know what happened to your post that I attempted to quote. But I found the gathering link and will pass it along to them.

Return to “Miscellaneous”