Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Oyster

Re: Travels and Adventures of "Curt's Dream" a True Grit design-The Great Loop

Post by Oyster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:18 pm

What speed and fuel burn do you get on your normal cruising rpm with the 150?? Do you happen to have the rigged weight of your boat?

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:54 am

Are you using a power prop on your 150 (less pitch)? fuel might suffer somewhat but might raise rpm's and actually go faster.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

curtgard

Post by curtgard » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Yes, I check active captain. Some of the reviews are getting a little old but still good info.

The boat with full fuel and water is nearly 12000 lbs. I had hoped to be under 10000. Owe well but we are comfortable. I generally don't add any more than 50 gallons of water as we are staying most nights at Marina.

I like to run at 2100 rpm making 7 mph burning 1.7 gph. The prop is 15.5 X 10 pitch SS. I had to have this special made in this low of a pitch. The first prop that I used when the motor was new was a 15.5 X 11 aluminum that I had repitched to a 9 with the cup removed. This gave me about 700 more rpms at WOT but lowered my top speed by 2 mph. I think too much prop slip. Bottom line, I just need a few more ponies back there. I will live with what I have.

Curt

kens

Post by kens » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 pm

12,000lbs @ 1.7gph is pretty good.
at your weight and speed you into the bigger prop diameter/gear ratio area. can't very well get there with a outboard.
But, Suzuki offers the deepest gear & biggest prop of any outboard I know of.
they have one with a 2.29 gear and 16 dia prop
Our local Sea Tow operator swears by the Suzuki over all the others.

...BTW. you mentioned a Bahama crossing...once you make the crossing, and, your retired, you can easily go island hopping and make your way down to Antiqua, Turks, Caicos islands....Did you bring your passport???? :D :lol:
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

I agree about the Suzuki engines. Personally I have been using them since they came out with the four strokes. I still have a 40 hp year 2000 that's still going. Just flush them out really good and service them accordingly .

Return to “Miscellaneous”