Do you'all rember your first boat ride?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

thudpucker

Do you'all rember your first boat ride?

Post by thudpucker » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 pm

I came to Seattle from a Farm in southern MO.
We had a spring house, and a Creek (Crik in the local parlance) that ran through the property.

Further away was "Buffalo Creek" where I nearly drowned.

After the War we made it to Seattle and my Uncle took me on a Row boat ride on Puget sound.
I had to help him drag the boat to the water. The little Trolley ended just before the Low tide mark.

He put me in the front of the boat. Man, I'd never seen so much water in my life. Deep too.
Even in the front of the boat I could see the water was deeper than our creek.

So he pushed off and began to row. The water got deeper and deeper. So clear I could still see bottom. I got scarder as the water got deeper!
I got both the Seat Cushions. Stuck my arm's through one so it was on my back and the other one was on my front.
Pete was laughing so hard he had trouble rowing.
I was petrified.
That was the first trip and the only one I was ever worried about.

And once we started catching fish, I forgot all about the 'deep water'.
That was near Bremerton and the Mothball Fleet was beginning to grow. Huge Ships with sailors looking down at us.
What a shock. From Tall Trees to Tall ships.
I've never lost my love for it.

PS: We drove from Seattle around to Bremerton because my Dad wouldn't go on a Ferry! Or on the Lake Washington floating bridge either.

Lowka53

Re: Do you'all rember your first boat ride?

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:11 pm

mine I was really young it was in a row boat on Lake erie there is picture some where in my files where I had fallen asleep
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

psychobilly

Re: Do you'all rember your first boat ride?

Post by psychobilly » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 pm

I'll have to re-visit this one when I get home and scan the page out of my baby book my mother wrote in for me.

It reads, "Blair spent his 9th, 10th, and 11th month of his life on our boat the Gilbert" hehehe so I can say I truly don't remember it. lol

My crib was a cardboard box from the grocery store. Daddy always said it was a, deep breath, a Kotex box. I always thought he was full of _ _ _ _, but when I was 10 we were blackening some red fish at the net shop in Balla~Batre and ole Gordy came up and said, " Boy I ain't seen you since you were sleeping in that Kotex box on the Gilbert."

And ya wonder why they call me PB....... :lol:

Return to “Miscellaneous”