Oil Gusher!

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Oil Gusher!

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Spill Hell!

Boats are being pulled.

I saw 4 Sport Fishermen from Florida going north today in B'ham AL. AWAIT! That is a good thing! They are Yankees that throw BIG Wakes!

Seriously, many people are being forced out of the water. This is both fun and work boats.

We watch hour by hour. Now they say it will be a bad hurricane season!

Crap!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BruceDow

Re: Oil Gusher!

Post by BruceDow » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:18 pm

this is really nasty stuff.

I feel sorry that it has affected people with both the fun and the work boats.

Let's hope that the success they reported today cutting the pipe will allow them to stop or slow the flow so that they can get on with the clean-up before the storms come.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:28 pm

The good news is that with warm climate the crude "weathers" pretty quickly. The tar balls can be picked up! The oil slick does degrade. But, if it moves too fast! LOOK OUT!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Living along the seaside for all of my yars on earth, this makes me cry. Given all the years and wells thats been drilled and the truely safety record too, I still find it hard to believe that the explosion was an accident with all the associated goings on with the nutcases in this country. For sure there was supposed to be a plan in place with the oil companies paying into the program for almost 20 years and we find out that there was only one fire boom avaliable from all the money collected by our "friends". The fire booms was supposed to be the first line of defence. The ripple affect will be felt country wide for a long time.

The media has also been hyping the notions of the hurricanes for sure. But each year has always proven to be still unpredictable when it comes to forcasting. I don't think we can look that far ahead or concentrate on how many or how severe, only stopping and continuing to clean up each day. The amount of redtape which should not be thats been involved is rediculous for the local guys on the ground.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:09 pm

I'VE DONE IT!

I'm just putting the final stages on my design for a car that runs on water. The only problem I'm running into is that the water needs to be from the Gulf. :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 pm

hyping the notions of the hurricanes for sure. But each year has always proven to be still unpredictable when it comes to forcasting
Yep...your lucky if you get a good 15 min notice on twisters too.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

thudpucker

Post by thudpucker » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Here's a pretty good write up on Congress quizzing BP. The explanations are fairly easy to understand. My guess is they hit a big pocket of Methane or some other volitile gas and when that goes away they can shut the flow off. Just my guess of course. This is something you should thank your Diety that you didnt get dumped on your shoulders to solve.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... BVlk3DN8KQ[attachment=0]

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:29 pm

I can guess why its taking them so long a few years ago they started laying of the diver that worked oil rigs doing the repairs on the piping. My brother used to work for Subsea a driving firm that worked on the rigs. Most of the diver in La have moved on to other jobs so they might be having hard time getting divers to go do the work. Just my 2 cents
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:27 am

Can divers work at 5000 ft down?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:38 am

Yeh, I think so, it shouldn't be a problem, that's only 2200 pounds of pressure :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:42 am

BayouBengal wrote:
Yeh, I think so, it shouldn't be a problem, that's only 2200 pounds of pressure :lol:
Dave,just think how slim we would be at that pressure and depth!!! :wink: :lol: :oops: :roll: :shock:

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:43 am

upspirate wrote:
BayouBengal wrote:
Dave,just think how slim we would be at that pressure and depth!!! :wink: :lol: :oops: :roll: :shock:

Well maybe not slimmer but definately shorter :wink: :lol:

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 am

Nova SS wrote:

True.... I forgot how cold it would be at that depth!!! :wink: :lol:

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 am

upspirate wrote:
Nova SS wrote:

True.... I forgot how cold it would be at that depth!!! :wink: :lol:

there would definately be shrinkage....can you say innie :lol: :lol:

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:43 am

Finally a thread I know exactly what I'm talking about. lol

No they don't work at these depths. On all of these rigs there are only ROVs, not divers for working on this equipment.

I can't say much out in the public as my company that I work for has equipment that is on this well. I actually used to work on the Horizon back in 07'.

I find it very sad that the 11 men are all but forgotten. Darn good ole boyz...

And pressure, hehehe you should see what it does to styrofoam manikin heads. lol too funny

Return to “Miscellaneous”