splitting dryed maple with an axe

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Nova SS

splitting dryed maple with an axe

Post by Nova SS »

Man oh man this stuff is either really tough to split with an axe or I'm a bigger wimp then I thought. I tried to get the Warden to do it but she was to busy supervising.

billy c

Re: splitting dryed maple with an axe

Post by billy c »

wanna borrow my log splitter?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

I have some old growth birdseye maple that my cousin uses for guiter faces that will destroy my good bandsaw blade in short order.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

for hard woods I found that using a metal cutting blade does wonders
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

billy c wrote:wanna borrow my log splitter?
Ya I'm pretty sure that is the answer. I have two or three stacks of firewood in different locations around the property (near the location the wood used to be trees). I think I'm going to gather them up and move them to one spot then rent a spliter for a weekend. We had a short(about 20 minutes) but very violent storm over the weekend and it took out part of a maple tree that is right in front of the house (less then 20 feet away) Luckly it fell on the road not the house.

I guess its time for that maple to come down. Last summer, because of how close it is to the house, we had a tree cutting company come in and trim off some dead sections. After that the tree was pretty funny looking but it still blocked a lot of the heat from the sun during the summer months. (the tree is directly to the south of the house) Anyway I dont trust it any longer as it would sure make a mess of the house if it were to come down on its own. We will miss it for sure in the summer. However on the upside it will be a fair bit of firewood for next year.

Rob Myran

Post by Rob Myran »

... and the correct answer is :arrow: It is too dang hot and humid to be splitting wood in the middle of July! :mrgreen:

This is the time of year that chainsaws get too hot and explode, wood splitter motors overheat. People with axes and monster mauls get heat prostration.

You are supposed to be sailing and swimming and sipping ice cold boat drinks.

October and November is the time to get the maul and splitters out. 20 degree below days in January are the days you can split the knotty monster hunks maple and elm.

How do I know? I ordered a bigga load of wood from hook and haul thinking they would deliver it at the end of summer. HA! :shock: They brought it the next day and dropped in the middle of my driveway. So guess what I've been doing early each morning? :?
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

DAVE LUDICK

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

Pardon my ignorance but is Maple not some exotic wood used for fine furniture work, and here you guys are using it for firewood. "Never mind the expense give the cat another Goldfish" scenario.
Dave

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

No your right, some mighty nice furniture is made from this stuff. Its both beautiful to look at and very durable plus it gives off a great anmount of heat when burned...lol. But seriously I'm not sure the amoung of lumber I'd get from this one tree (or more precicely part of a tree) would be worth the cost of taking it somewhere to get milled. I have an oak tree behind the garage that isnt looking so healthy that I think will be coming down this fall to make room for a wood storage shed. It will likely end up firewood too. BTW how do you tell if its a white oak tree VS a red oak tree?

DAVE LUDICK

Post by DAVE LUDICK »

You got me there man, I know precious little about North American timber other than I hear discussed on the forum. When it comes to African timbers I am a little more informed. I am sorry but you will have to figure out on your own which specie of Oak you have. Good luck. I have my preferences with our local wood when I "braai" [our term for barbeque], I do like thorn especialy Camel Thorn which grows in our drier areas and the Namib Desert, makes lovely long lasting coals.
Dave

billy c

Post by billy c »

Nova SS wrote: BTW how do you tell if its a white oak tree VS a red oak tree?
rounded edges on leaves = White
pointed = Red
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS »

hmmmmmmm then I think its a white oak tree. I'll have to look again. Thanks for the info. Very usefull. BTW does anyone have a guess what it costs to get stuff milled in to lumber?

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

It is common practice to burn native hard woods in the east coast I have knocked down and left more than I like to think of cleaning out fence rows. i have burn cherry oak maple walnut hickory just to name many allot of it have been wind damage. If we happen to find one that has a good saw long we cut it and take next doors to a neighbor who has a band mill he some times buys the saw long from us or if we need the lumber we have it cut up to be used but it takes years to dry out enough to be used. for the most part we harvest our tree's about every 10 years for a profit but we only selective cut our timber it makes us a nice pay check.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Miscellaneous”