Boat plans

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Graham Knight

Boat plans

Post by Graham Knight »

I've been checking out eBay as a source for boat plans, and found several sellers offering CD-ROMs with dozens of plans. Looking through the lists of designs I spotted a few familiar names, like Riviera for instance, would this be the Glen-L Riviera by any chance?
Legitimacy apart, has anyone bought one of these CDs and do they live up to the descriptions?
Graham in Shepperton, England

Good, Quick, Cheap, pick any two.

highyield2

Post by highyield2 »

Graham,

I haven't bought one of the CD's, but most of the "plans" are just articles from old Science and Mechanics magazine articles and other mags scanned onto a disk. I have built some small hydros from these types of plans. I do like full size plans if available for a larger boat as I don't have to go through the hassle of lofting them.

John H.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

Thanx John, I don't mind lofting, it's something I'm quite used to doing as part of my job. My concern was that the plans were complete enough to build from, not just a 3-view, although I could build from that if I have to!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

My concern would be that I'd be buying plans from someone that bootlegged the plans instead of designing their own. For example, why would anyone advertise the Riviera, other than Glen-L, unless it was pirated? For some of the old magazine articles, if they've been out of print for years, I don't guess that there would be any harm, but I imagine that piracy does exist in this industry as well as others.

But then again, here's the next problem. Let's say that I buy a set of plans that have been bootlegged from Glen-L. Then when I run into obstacles, I come on to the Glen-L sight and start asking questions. How motivated to help are the Glen-L people going to be if they learn that I've bought a copied set of plans from someone else?

However, I've noticed too that Glen-L, Ken Hankinson and Clark Craft, all share some designs with the exact same names. I'd like to know what's up with that?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Post by Guest »

Dave, don't forget than there was a Chris-Craft Riviera too, the one on the plans CD may be something different again.
I started thinking about something else, most boat plans I've seen the purchaser is allowed to build one boat from them, it's a sort of licence to build. After that you are not supposed to build another or sell the plans on. Glen-L don't appear to have this policy, at least I can't find it written anywhere.
There's a big difference though between selling a used set of plans, and copying those plans to sell multiple copies.

Graham Knight

Post by Graham Knight »

That's strange, my last mail showed me as a guest even though I was logged in (I never log out) lets see what happens with this one.

Return to “Miscellaneous”