GPS/ navigation app for a android based phone

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

upspirate

GPS/ navigation app for a android based phone

Post by upspirate »

I'm looking for a GPS/navigation app for an android based phone,anyone have any recommendations on these?

We are going to the Fla Keys at the end of the month,and just want something to help us get back to our base there in case we loose track in unfamiliar waters with lots of little mangrove islands in the area.I will have a paper chart to refer to as I found out the chart plotter on my other boat is no replacement,but a nice supplement to paper charts.

We are going to be using a 22'sailboat that comes with our accommodations,so that's why I'm not buying anything big deal,just an app.

Old days,I wouldn't worry about it,but oh well.....probably won't need it,but Debbie likes new apps!!! :wink: :roll: 8)

Thanks

warren

Lowka53

Re: GPS/ navigation app for a android based phone

Post by Lowka53 »

upspirate wrote:I'm looking for a GPS/navigation app for an android based phone,anyone have any recommendations on these?

We are going to the Fla Keys at the end of the month,and just want something to help us get back to our base there in case we loose track in unfamiliar waters with lots of little mangrove islands in the area.I will have a paper chart to refer to as I found out the chart plotter on my other boat is no replacement,but a nice supplement to paper charts.

We are going to be using a 22'sailboat that comes with our accommodations,so that's why I'm not buying anything big deal,just an app.

Old days,I wouldn't worry about it,but oh well.....probably won't need it,but Debbie likes new apps!!! :wink: :roll: 8)

Thanks

warren
hmm the boss's android cam with the app hers is a g3 it worked quite well you could actually see us moving down the highway she uses t-moble
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Yea,Debbie's has that and loves it,but I wanted a marine app with chart info

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

:lol: so it don't work in water or at least have charts never tried it. :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Yep,I want islands,depth,obstructions,track info etc. :) :wink: 8)

sunflounder

Post by sunflounder »

Warren;

I have been using the Navionics App for the iPhone and it is fantastic (once you click on the 'this is worthless for navigation' button : ). I belive they have one for Android.

http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarineFe ... pe=Android

Hope this helps

DaveA

red

Post by red »

garmen has an app for your phone should have all kinds of navagation but not sure about coastal charts you could probably find out about it on the web

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

It sounds like you need a skipper. :roll: Seriously, why don't you get one of these new "do hickees". :P
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

Grand Chillin wrote:It sounds like you need a skipper. :roll: Seriously, why don't you get one of these new "do hickees". :P
:lol: because it takes skill to work one :lol: and after a few of his favorite beverage might as well us it as ballast :lol:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Grand Chillin wrote:It sounds like you need a skipper. :roll: Seriously, why don't you get one of these new "do hickees". :P
That particular sextant costs more than the handheld GPS I'm trying to avoid purchasing.....not to mention the other reasons it won't work for an afternoon outing!!! :wink: :roll:

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

it won't work for an afternoon outing!!!
Navigation made easy,,,, For an afternoon outing just apply your water or beer bottles on the top of the water and then you can follow them back picking them up on the way back to the dock. Sometimes things are just too simple, you know. :wink: :roll: 8)

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Oyster wrote:
it won't work for an afternoon outing!!!
Navigation made easy,,,, For an afternoon outing just apply your water or beer bottles on the top of the water and then you can follow them back picking them up on the way back to the dock. Sometimes things are just too simple, you know. :wink: :roll: 8)

I never tried that! I did try the old bread crumb trick,but the damn fish ate them!!! :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen »

I have Memory Map for my iPhone . It seems to have all the charts for the country on it. It was a bit pricey. I think it was about $35. Just google "Memory Map".
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

khundley

Post by khundley »

If you go to the Android Market through the phone, there is a slew of Navionics gps maps based on regions. They are 13.95 each, though, which is steep for typical apps, but I would guess they are pretty useful. Here's their website: http://navionics.com/

I also see BoatUS, free, which looks kinda cool. Text or email your gps location to other boaters, share anchorage info for favorite spots, show your boats near shore location on google maps, displays latitude and longitude even when out of cell range, call for a tow in an emergency, and lots of other things you may find interesting. Hope it helps.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Thanks for the info guys....I'm putting my in-house amateur IT on it with your recommendations!! :wink:

Return to “Miscellaneous”