Ready To Replace Your Shop's Lights?

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

raymacke

Ready To Replace Your Shop's Lights?

Post by raymacke »

Don't know how many of you are aware that on July 14, 2012 most all T12 fluorescent bulbs (1 1/2" diameter) will be phased out of production. This is being done to encourage the use of the newer more efficient T8 and T5 tubes. The newer tubes can't not be installed in the old fixtures unless the ballast are changed and often the cost for materials and labor exceed the price of new units.

I understand the logic but still it will create a real expense for many. Personally I did a light count for my shop, garage and our small business office. Total I have 36 fixtures which will need to be replaced as the supply of T12 tubes dwindles. :(

I am guessing many of your shops have T12 lights so I though this might be of interest. At the very least, if you are in the market for any lights I would not be buying any new T12 fixtures.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

treetall100

Re: Ready To Replace Your Shop's Lights?

Post by treetall100 »

Thanks for the info...I am sure Canada will follow suit...and I had no idea!
Patrick Morais
~ Lo Voltage ~
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

I think there is legislation being introduced to stop that bill from taking effect. I think it also deals with the CFL's etc...not sure, but maybe it is only Wyoming that is fighting it. There are a bunch of cowboys here (real ones!) and they really don't like taking crap from just about anyone!

I keep a Glock 29 (10mm) strapped to my ankle and I think I am in the minority...most guys around here have two! :o Man, I love this part of the country!

Steve

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

The T12 tubes aren't the only bulbs on the list for extermination. Here is the D.O.E. mandated time-line for other light sources. - http://o.b5z.net/i/u/10069179/f/DOE_Lam ... meline.pdf
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

jcallends

Post by jcallends »

Hey Leakcheck, Is this you?

This old story out of Texas . Seems a guy makes a rolling stop... a stop sign, and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his driver's license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit

"Okay, Mr. Smith," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you got."

Smith says, "Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range...?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of...?"

"Not a damned thing..."

gstanfield

Post by gstanfield »

:lol: Good one except I must add in that we don't ask folks what they are carrying out here, at least I don't. Also Wyoming just passed legislaton that says you don't need a CCW card to carry concealed in the state. They still issue one if you want it, but it's only needed if you leave the state. :wink:

As to the light bulbs, I guess I'll go buy up a big stock of tubes, I have 24 light fixtures in my shop, it'd be pretty dang pricey to go in and change them all, plus the 6 in my garage and the three in each of my outbuildings.

I'd say $200 worth of bulbs will last me several years to come and it's cheaper than $2k worth of lights :roll:

And Leak is right, us cowboys out here don't take to kindly to being pushed around...

George
I Peter 2:17

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Good Grief!!! Between the shop and the hangar I have 23 four ft. troffers with four tubes and 4 other 48" lights with 2 tubes in each. I have some spares, but I guess I will get another case. :shock: :shock:

Roberta :roll:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

53Evinrude

Post by 53Evinrude »

Hmmm... I remember seeing pallets of Freon for 99 cents a can in Kmart and Walmart knowing it was scheduled to be phased out. Never occurred to me that it would appreciate more than gold. What do ya'll think? Should I invest in tubes and ballast OR become an electrician? (Looking at 60 8 foot tubes in my building at work right now)

raymacke

Post by raymacke »

53Evinrude - Right now I don't believe the production of 8' T12's are scheduled to be stopped. I think it is one of the T12 exceptions.

And yea, I have bought 2 cases of T12 so far and will probably pick up a couple more in the next few months for personal use. As the date approaches I am betting the price of these will escalate too.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck »

jcallends..Good one ~~~!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's about the way it is around these parts! Love it!

Here is the link for the incandescents...will have to check on the flourescents (Yeah...I can't speel either one of them!)

Steve
http://dailycaller.com/2011/02/17/enzi- ... -bulb-ban/

John B

Post by John B »

Well, here in the comrade's paradise of Kalifornia, the phase-out is about 1 year ahead of the rest of the country :x

I plan on making a killing on ebay in the new few years...I purchased 1000 100w GE incandescents so Gayle and I are good for oh, about 100 years. :lol:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

John B wrote:Well, here in the comrade's paradise of Kalifornia, the phase-out is about 1 year ahead of the rest of the country :x

I plan on making a killing on ebay in the new few years...I purchased 1000 100w GE incandescents so Gayle and I are good for oh, about 100 years. :lol:

You can put them on the Glen-L online store and list them as antique classic boat bulbs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

John B

Post by John B »

Roberta Hegy wrote:
John B wrote:Well, here in the comrade's paradise of Kalifornia, the phase-out is about 1 year ahead of the rest of the country :x

You can put them on the Glen-L online store and list them as antique classic boat bulbs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D
Ooooooh! I LIKE that. :D

But then I'd have to give a cut of my profits to Glen-L.... :roll:
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Plus, you couldn't charge what you want,you'd have to charge fair Glen-L prices!! :wink:

Ches T

Post by Ches T »

I also have fluorescent lights in my shop. Recently I replaced several T12 with the newer T8. I did it just to see if there would be any adverse effects. I left the old ballast in place and did not rewire the bulbs like the electronic ballasts require. So far everything is working just fine. So don't panic, anyone.
Ches

Return to “Miscellaneous”