I'm now a professional photographer at Wooden Boat Mag LOL

Topics not covered by another category.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

jeffh

I'm now a professional photographer at Wooden Boat Mag LOL

Postby jeffh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:14 am

As posted by darthplywood a few weeks ago, my boat was selected by Wooden Boat Magazine for the current issue. Well today, I received a nice letter from the editor along with magazine tear sheets that I can frame. The best part was a check for $25 for the use of my photo and story. So I have now lost my amateur status 8) My renewal is also due, so I'll just use this check toward the renewal.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Roberta

Re: I'm now a professional photographer at Wooden Boat Mag L

Postby Roberta » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Congrats, Jeff!!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mjggjm12

Postby mjggjm12 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Awesome, congrats
Currently restoring a FB boat
Have plans for 15 1/2' power/row skiff

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:24 am

Well done Jeff, you pro you 8) I subscribe to Wooden Boat so will be watching for you're article. There just are not enough articles on power boats in that magazine so again.......well done :D

I have an article almost ready to submit to the Australian Amateur Boatbuilder magazine on the building of my Monaco, just need to get some top notch photos together. I doubt though that I will receive anywhere near the princely sum of $25 for my story, but you never know.

My wife and I attempted a photo-shoot last Friday morning, the fog was unusually thick at our launching ramp and the stuff hung around too long so we will try again another day :( but I guess that means another boat trip :)

Hard to get a good bright shot

Tim
IMG_9992.JPG

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:45 am

I don't know, sometimes fog shots give a wooden boat some mystique or allure!!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 am

I like that shot!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jeffh

Postby jeffh » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:46 am

Tim Major wrote:Well done Jeff, you pro you 8) I subscribe to Wooden Boat so will be watching for you're article. There just are not enough articles on power boats in that magazine so again.......well done :D

I have an article almost ready to submit to the Australian Amateur Boatbuilder magazine on the building of my Monaco, just need to get some top notch photos together. I doubt though that I will receive anywhere near the princely sum of $25 for my story, but you never know.

My wife and I attempted a photo-shoot last Friday morning, the fog was unusually thick at our launching ramp and the stuff hung around too long so we will try again another day :( but I guess that means another boat trip :)

Hard to get a good bright shot

Tim
IMG_9992.JPG

Tim, I love that photo. It is definitely a keeper. By the way, I have your youtube video set in my favorites. You have built a beautiful boat! Oh yeah, my story is nothing more than a paragraph and photo in the Mar/Apr issue of the magazine :lol:
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

Canoath

Postby Canoath » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:09 pm

I agree, that photo's fantastic Tim. The fog creates an interesting mood, focuses attention on the monaco, a unique creation opposing all those silhouetted "ordinary" boats :wink: Look forward to seeing your write up.

Jeff, you've answered a question I wanted to ask in the other thread, what issue is "Kicked in the Head" in. I've had trouble picking up Jan/Feb issue let alone the latest and the online indexes didn't mention your boat. I shall track them down if not just download this issue.

I've got your walk around of the boat in my favourites though it doesn't play on iphone for some reason. Your other video does though. Anyhow, your Malahini amongst a few others (at least Doug Hodder and George Redden from memory) really stood out for me and showed what can be done with this plan. Congrats on the article and for getting paid, what a bonus.
Building a Malahini.......one day

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:53 am

Gidday Canoath,

I quite like the shot also and we took a few similar atmospheric shots but I just don't think it is really suited to a magazine article, we're sure to have another early light, fog free day soon.

I don't have you on our Aussie & NZ Glen-L builders list. If you would like to be added PM me your details.

All the best

Tim

Jeff, sorry, I don't quite get how to reply to an individual post (as you have) so I hope you pick this up. Even a paragraph is great, as I said, not enough on power boats in that mag !! thanks for the heads-up on the issue. I'm really glad that you enjoy the video, thanks.

Tim

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:37 am

Tim to reply to a certain post, hit "quote" in the lower right corner of that post, then type away

johnndeanna

Postby johnndeanna » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

I just picked up my issue and noticed the boat in the Launchings section as well. Congrats.

John

Tim Major

Postby Tim Major » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 am

upspirate wrote:Tim to reply to a certain post, hit "quote" in the lower right corner of that post, then type away

Thanks, that's great, never would have known.........still learning something new every day :)

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:15 am

Wow--I didn't know WoodenBoat paid for their launchings section. Good to know. Great job Jeff and Tim, let us know when your boat appears too!

tony08

Re: I'm now a professional photographer at Wooden Boat Mag LOL

Postby tony08 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 am

Hello,

How would I go about pursuing a career as a professional photographer?

Return to “Miscellaneous”